Nice physical format things

A thread for sharing photos of any good physical music things you have, could be a box set, something with weird/interesting packaging, something limited or just something that’s a bit unusual.

I’ll start with the Push the Sky Away box - aside from the album and a couple of 7" singles and a DVD, the real good thing here is the replica of Nick Cave’s notebook from the making of the album, which is so well made you’d think it was the original. Loads of little photos and maps pasted into it, stamps and scribbles everywhere, lyrics that didn’t make it and stuff that’s appeared on later albums.

WATCHA GOT?

10 Likes

I’ve got loads of slightly weird stuff like Frank Ocean - Blond and the massive Boys Don’t Cry magazine, the Ghost Outfit 7” in the weird pillowcase pouch come to mind oh and that massive Random Access Memories boxset that I bought while in the pub at the start of Friday afternoon (still regret this refuse to sell it).

But, my favourite is my copy of KLF - Chill Out since it isn’t available anywhere I have been after it for at least 8 years and I have been patient as fuck to find a decently priced, clean copy and I finally got it last year. Still very please about it.

This thread deserves more love

6 Likes

22-cd Girls Aloud singles box, in lockable metal case

12 Likes

Killing Joke: The Singles Collection Super Deluxe Boxset - All the singles on 33 individual CDs with original b-sides, 32 page book, signed certificate and bizarrely an aliminium cigar tube containing the wrapper of a cigar Jaz Coleman smoked during the recording of Hosannas From The Basement of Hell

I did a post on my old blog about it in 2013;

11 Likes

Blond sells for big money doesn’t it?

I have a Pulp His ‘N’ Hers promo book that Island Records US did.

6 Likes

£1,500 on discogs in May apparently

Jeez Louise

3 Likes

Bought the new Sarah Davachi tape recently and it is just beautifully designed. The case is textured and the insert has lovely photographs and the typsetting, layout etc is just wonderful.

So not a fancy boxset just a great example of how a cheap physical format can really add value.

Just going to link to boomkat as I’m not at home to take photos.

2 Likes

Was thinking the other day how completely obsolete what Radiohead did with Kid A now is, the hiding of that whole comic booklet under the black CD tray so you could easily miss it entirely. And the fact the tray was shiny not matt like normal. A weird way to make a standard CD different.

But basically physical copies are so small a market now you’d either go very ‘big’ or very standard

1 Like

Radiohead are so weird with deluxe editions I have A Moon Shaped Pearl and it has some of the tape with it.

2 Likes

Oh yeah me too, but that’s proper pushing the boat out stuff. Like the Amnesiac hardback book.

The Kid A one was just…low key?

1 Like

True it was more they have form for pushing the boat out. Nice to see at least.

I have the King of Limbs vinyl with the newspaper. Very cool but hard to look after.

4 Likes

I’m embarrassed to admit I have this and have never bothered to open it because I really cba having to think of a way to look after it once it’s opened. I also thought it might have started to biodegrade by now - isn’t that what it’s supposed to do?

2 Likes

And very annoying changing the side after every 2 songs.
Wish they’d made it more like the In Rainbows or Moon Shaped Pool sets.

1 Like

Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space reissue. The original version looked better cos the packaging was more like medicine, but whatever.

12 x 3" CD “tablets” with each track having its own disc, 2 x normal-sized CDs with all the bonus tracks, medical instruction liner notes, signed prescription.

10 Likes

Its a bit oh what else do you expect from Father John Misty. But either both or one of his 1st 2 albums have intructions on how to listen to the album that are genuinely really funny.

1 Like

I’ve got the original single CD in the blister pack in the white packaging. Still my favourite packaging of an album I think, although a bit of a bugger to get the cd out without destroying the foil.

Anywhere to read these online?

Colour me intrigued.