Rolling Football Podcast Spin-off thread

My current ranking:

Football Ramble > Totally Football League Show > Athletico Mince > Guardian Football Weekly > European Football Show > Quickly Kevin, Will He Score? > Totally Football Show > On The Continent

Big fan of Quickly Kevin, the interviews are actually insightful

Ken Early > everyone else

4 Likes

Really wish football weekly would bin off feigning interest in leagues. Glendenning essentially reading out Serie A results doesnā€™t offer any insight at all. Generally though Iā€™ve enjoyed this seasonā€™s offerings quite a lot. Priya Ramesh was a great guest.

Other than those you mentored, I quite like the Independentā€™s football podcast for going a bit more in depth on fewer topics, despite having massive preconceptions about Miguel Delaney because of what a tool he is on Twitter.

@shrewbieā€™s right though, the Second Captains output tops them all.

Guardian football and euro leagues podcast. Sacked off totally football as it was (understandably) the same as Guardian

I like the ramble - but I wish Jim didnā€™t sound so nervous all the time. Relax, take your time m8. Definitely a morning commute show.

Guardian is good - afternoon commute. I really like Max, heā€™s self deprecating and I think makes the panel seem less smug than they did under Jimbo.
New guests like Lars and Priya have been good, not sure how I feel about Jacqui Oatley. Thought they covered the Mark Sampson stuff really well.

Totally football show has been okay, but yeah same show. Only listen too occasionally.

beeeeeeevssss

guardian > ramble preview > 2nd captains > guardian extra > ramble > jimbo

donā€™t have time for on the continent, donā€™t bother with jimbo most weeks.

Absolutely adore Second Captains. Listen to Anfield Wrap a bit for Liverpool stuff. Used to like Football Weekly but felt it all was a bit more football #content than I had time for

1 Like

usually just listen to ttfs and ramble. cba with rushdensā€™s banter and glendenning is stealing a living.

ramble is good but a bit less arsenal content would be nice.

even with the two I feel like thereā€™s a bit too much crossover

The genuine experts like Horncastle and Honingstein aside, Glendenningā€™s the best contributor to any of the above pods for me.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know why i dislike Iain Macintosh so much.

Canā€™t stand him.

2 Likes

Shows how sad I am that all of these are on regular rotation;

• Football Weekly >
    • Spanish Football Podcast >
    • La Liga Weekly (Jon Driscoll is probably the best presenter/host around, and Terry Gibson analyses football better than any other former players) >
    • 5Liveā€™s World Football Phone-In >
    • Second Captains (agree that Ken Early talks about football better than pretty much anyone, but Iā€™m not really a fan of the way itā€™s formatted/edited, and while you canā€™t blame them, I donā€™t really care about the Irish focus) >
    • On The Continent (Way better than the football ramble, has a much better balance of analysis and humour) >
    • The Indy Football Show >
    • Totally Football Show >
    • Talksportā€™s European Football Show >
    • Talking La Liga >
    • The Football Ramble

General best football-talkers - Tim Vickery, Sid Lowe, Honigstein, Horncastle, Jack Pitt-Brooke, Ken Early, Priya Ramesh, Amy Lawrence, Andy Brassell, Jacqui Oatley, Jonathan Wilson.

Recommend these which can be listened to like Audiobooks, would quite like more retrospective football series. Market is very saturated with weekly analysis;
The Mixer Series for Michael Coxā€™s book.
Graham Hunterā€™s interview series (not kept up with it since itā€™s gone subscribery)
The Blizzard

Also some Leeds United podcasts I wonā€™t bore you (further) with.

Nice to see Jack Pitt-Brooke doing so well for himself. He used to have a City blog as a teenager called The Lonesome Death of Roy Carroll, think heā€™s one of the Independentā€™s senior sportwriters now.

1 Like

Horncastle has become a bit ā€œgun for hireā€ though. I still like himā€¦but if you listen to a few podcast you hear him recycle quite a few points (same with Andy Brassell).

1 Like

Couldnā€™t disagree more about the ramble/on the continent.

The ramble is great. Properly balances enjoying corporate football with the the idiocy or enjoying corporate football. Theyā€™re four likeable guys tooā€¦they have their in-jokes but theyā€™re socially conscious and open to criticism. Always find myself smiling through their shows

On the continent is just dry. Itā€™s not awful, but you can hear what Brassell thinks in more depth on Talksport 2ā€¦and Horncastle is on all the podcasts. The humour is really safe too. Waste of an hour tbh.

feel that way about glendenning tbh. think sometimes you can build an irrational hatred based on first impressions maybe

Itā€™s grown on me a bit, and thereā€™s definitely a space for their style as, like you say, the sober analysis of every other podcast. And itā€™s good thatā€™s thereā€™s something with humour thatā€™s several levels higher than, say, Soccer AM or whatever Bookies-sponsored YouTube channels are the norm these days.

Donā€™t find it as an out-and-out annoying as I used to, but still just find the laughter really OTT, loud and backslappingā€¦ dare I say, Gervais-like. Which is ok if you find it funny but so often itā€™s just not (to me, anyway), and unbearable.

Find a higher quality of analysis and toned down humour a better balance - itā€™s a lot more casual than any other podcast, still. I agree about the recycled points, but I donā€™t see how theyā€™d avoid that when talking about the same stuff. If anything, it makes me wanna bin off the other podcasts theyā€™re on and stick to that one.

Athletico Mince is fucking shite.

4 Likes