Silverchair

I don’t know if it was just my small musical circle in South Wales, but Silverchair were a confounding one for the musos in Bridgend in the late 90s. Feel like it’s mostly by-the-by now, but was definitely a band to be taken seriously around the time of Neon Ballroom.

Frogstomp was so divisive between people who thought it was hugely derivative and those who thought it was an incredible album from a bunch of 15 year olds. Then there was Freak Show which had its moments but wasn’t all that mind blowing, but there was a brief moment where people in my circle thought Neon Ballroom was Silverchair’s OK Computer.

Not sure how much this thread has got in it, but starting it because I reckon a surprising number of DiSers have history with Silverchair and have been waiting for a HGATR to let it out (like Feeder)

At some point in your life
  • I loved Silverchair a lot
  • I liked Silverchair a bit
  • I didn’t mind Silverchair
  • I wasn’t keen on Silverchair
  • I hated Silverchair
  • Other

0 voters

My current feelings are
  • I love Silverchair
  • I like Silverchair
  • I think Silverchair were OK
  • I didn’t like Silverchair
  • I hated Silverchair
  • Other

0 voters

I always liked the bit in The Greatest View in the verse after the first chorus where Johns does an absolutely comedy voice for no reason

SILVERCHAIR - THE GREATEST VIEW (OFFICIAL VIDEO) - YouTube the line from 1.55

2 Likes

Wasn’t all that fussed. But this was a banger.

1 Like

Back in college I liked how you could tell my friend was happy drunk if he interrupted the playlist to put on Israel’s Son.

And sad drunk if he interrupted the playlist to put on Shade.

Separated by about 3 hours every Friday night freshman year.

2 Likes

This was a great song. Always liked how the first transition to the chorus has a big pause and the second time they dive right in.

They were big in Barnstaple in 1997

I was 14 when Frogstomp came out and I thought it was amazing. Lost interest in them after a couple of years though.

I played Israel’s Son in a band with my mates for a school assembly, that was pretty fun if really quite odd. They had a projector up for a sports presentation they were doing after we played so I did the whole thing behind it in silhouette.

4 Likes

I’d agree with this!

3 Likes

Used to cover a couple of silverchair songs in my band day of hate as a 14 year old

Good times.

1 Like

Other - i don’t know who they are , when i think of silver chair its this The Silver Chair - Wikipedia

5 Likes

One of the first songs I wrote was a Silverchair rip off about being ‘lost abused and betrayed’ . It didn’t really work as i was a very happy lower middle class farmer’s son from North Devon

3 Likes

Neon ballroom was an outstanding album and one I can still put on from time to time.

Round my social group they were reasonably well liked but no mega fans (I probably liked them the most).

With hindsight they didn’t deserve the “nirvana in pijamas” tag they got.

Big fan around the time of the release of Neon Ballroom and I still have plenty of time for that album. Would have been very active in their online community at that time and will forever associate it with my first steps into message boards, instant messengers and chat rooms.

Thought the recent Daniel Johns Spotify podcast was eye opening. Never really considered him to be a child star in the way that I’d think young Holywood actors who hit it big are.

Controversially I suppose, if anyone actually cared, I prefer their more melodramatic material and think Diorama’s their best album. I mean these arrangements are just quite delicious, and it’s pretty jaunty to boot:

5 Likes

Yeah Diorama is a great record, almost feels like a lost classic to an extent because as far as I’m aware it wasn’t what people wanted from them and pretty much killed interest in them dead. So much craft in it, it’s awesome.

I haven’t heard this song in years and I can still sing along with it, which is quite a feat of stickiness.

1 Like

I LIIIIIIIIVE IN A CEEEEEEEEEMETERY

5 Likes

Across The Night was a choon

1 Like

Big in South Devon too, then?

1 Like