Small ideas that could improve music industry

Change doesn’t always happen because of big changes but smaller incremental shifts

Just saw this brilliant and simple inclusivity rider (text to add to your booking deal alongside humous, towels, and a functioning power supply)

https://www.thejaguarfoundation.net/resources

Got me thinking, what ideas have you had to make music better for everyone or initiatives you thought were brilliant?

No idea is too small.

2 Likes

More keytars

12 Likes

I have no idea what this means :grinning:

5 Likes

A weekly bandcamp playlist of everything that has been released by people I follow.

1 Like

Mini minidiscs

1 Like

Gigs to be finished by 10pm, to make them more accessible to working people, more accessible to those using public transport, and less disruptive to surrounding residents.

32 Likes

Turning the volume down at gigs just a little bit

5 Likes

giving bands better quality food and less booze

2 Likes

What’s not to get?

If more venues sold sandwiches so I didn’t have to worry about where I can get food before the gig and not miss the support act.

7 Likes

NFTs

4 Likes

Was going down this road myself. Endless Hum in Shipley has it absolutely right imo; different artisan food (inc vegan) every gig. Bang on.

Anyone that wants to stand alone gets to go at the front in height order, if people of different heights want to stand together they’re at the back behind the height compliant

4 Likes

In addition to this, Saturday/Sunday daytime clubbing. It’s something that took off a little bit here in London after the pandemic and I’d love to see it adopted across the country. It’s absolutely brilliant to be out in a dark room for hours and still be in bed by midnight.

Scrap having support acts for support acts sake. I’ve seen so many terrible support acts that are just there to fill time before the main event - the experience isn’t good for any party.

1 Like

Make records cheap again and stop selling shit turntables and bring back top of the pops and do an indie version too

7 Likes

Make streaming payouts proportionate to plays on all platforms. And make those payments bigger.

Publicising stage times a minimum of 1 week in advance across both artist and venue websites and social media.

9 Likes

Why in the year of our lord 2022 is this so hard? At the last gig I went to not only did they not publicise the stage times but they didn’t even tell anyone there was a support. Baffling behaviour.

1 Like

A guitar licence scheme to introduce some long-needed quality control into rock/indie bands. Release a shit record and it’s points on your licence. Too many shit records and it’s game over.

1 Like