Storygraph- non Amazon owned replacement for Goodreads

Goodreads is owned by Amazon, sells all your data to them, has had some weird racist algorithmic book recommendation issues, and is ugly as hell.

There’s a new site launched a few months ago called Storygraph, that’s a replacement, doesn’t look like it was last redesigned in 2002, and has better recommendations.

Here’s me: emmaf85 | The StoryGraph

9 Likes

I’m also on there but no idea how to link to my profile…

Going to start logging my books in there this year but keeping my Goodreads account going for the time being too.

Click My Storygraph, and then just copy and paste the web address

will give it a go. even aside from the dodgy amazon stuff goodreads is a bit frustrating and gives terrible recommendations, hope this is better. cool if they develop an app for it too

1 Like

There was no ‘my story graph’ to click :neutral_face:

https://beta.thestorygraph.com/profile/1dc57ef4-0e74-466d-a720-7e6c7987b11b
Err ok that didn’t work

There’s an app you can get by adding the website to your phone homepage.

Goodreads has some of the absolute worst reviews going as well.

I’ve just followed you.
I’m gnome

Set this up, looks like it’ll be a good alternative :+1:

Haven’t figured out how to add people yet but I’m just flashinglight on there

1 Like

Spent some time setting this up instead of reading :smiley: Somehow I’ve actually read less over Covid times than I would have otherwise, so maybe having this will help.

i am on there as mousebird

i love how my progress is like, reads 2 books in 2 days, doesn’t read a book for 3 years, etc

1 Like

I asked on here for non-amazon recs and I’ve found Hive to be pretty good.

Really excited for a non-Amazon book tracker, even though I’m not reading much atm. My only worry is who will eventually buy the company if it does become successful.

My storygraph username is thedinginator btw :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Got a link? Can see an eBay store and a website that seems to just do homewares based on books

So far finding both the website and the app a nightmare to use.

Wordery also been good

1 Like

What bits are causing the problem?

I’ve found a kot to be pretty similar to goodreads, after finding that the ‘your storygraph’ page was like your home page. But maybe I habe just been doing basic stuff and other features are frustrating I haven’t used yet.

Going to give this a go. Have imported 10 years of Goodreads data :nerd_face:.

Okay have joined.

My phone put a capital letter in my username and I’m not wild about the fact this generated an error. ToLower methods are pretty standard when it comes to good UX design and it’s the work of moments to apply them.

Equally CamelCase is useful to readability as Roast The Mona Spit will attest and I don’t understand why you’d restrict it TBH…

Anyway, Goodreads import underway apparently

1 Like

Imported my goodreads

Mainly reads fiction books that are reflective, challenging, and emotional.

Typically chooses slow-paced books that are <300 pages long.

Wow they already know me so well

Mainly reads fiction books that are dark, reflective, and mysterious.

Typically chooses medium-paced books that are <300 pages long.

1 Like

I’ve set it up and added a couple of you (will add more if I find you), but like, it doesn’t give you a notification or anything if someone adds/follows you, right?