The Boo Radleys

My other half always used to hate the Boo Radleys, so they became my thing, and she took Suede. (Otherwise we mainly agreed). But she particularly hated What’s in the Box for some reason, probably because of a remix that was a B-side of the single.

I never quite liked C’mon Kids as much as I wanted to. (I really, really wanted it to be better than Coming Up and I still think it is). Probably add that to my list of albums to revisit.

C’Mon Kids is a masterpiece. It was much more ambitious sonically and better produced than Wake Up …but if you like Lazarus or The White Noise Revisited or Martin!Doom It’s Seven O’clock, it was a continuation of what was great about them.

The final album was amazing too - it’s a bit of a curious one to describe. I may be future soul rock? The -gazey ness of them is there only in fleeting moments. Some of the songs are a bit slower, all of them are a bit more openly sad-in-your-face lyrically. The single Free Huey was pretty atypical. The song about the Millenium Done (Monuments for a Dead Century) and that albums version of a lonely relationship ballad (Eurostar) are among their best songs.

Peak Radleys for me…Lazarus 12inch version and Reaching Out From Here.

Martin Carr had a few good singles/tracks afterwards with the Brave Captain moniker (I remember Better Living Through Reckless Experimentation) but from what I heard then, he couldn’t sustain it.

The Eggman Sice solo record was…very forgettable…

3 Likes

This is okay, I guess. Sounds very “Wake Up” era Boos rather than what went before, which was much better. Guess that’s by design as they had a lot more fans in their twilight years but I much preferred the shoegaze fuzz of the earlier stuff up to and including Giant Steps.

1 Like

Nice to hear Kingsize getting some love. I always felt like it was an album I liked a lot more than I should.

Don’t get me wrong, I think C’mon Kids is good, but it never quite gelled as a masterpiece to me. I’ll definitely be revisiting it now based on your enthusiasm.

2 Likes

Cripes, forgot they had three albums after Giant Steps. Not sure if I ever heard Kingsize.

I thought Kingsize was excellent, lots of really heartfelt melancholy moments. Felt like a fitting end really. C’mon Kids was very quirky in places and a couple of bangers but still with those heartbreaking melodies hidden in songs like Four Saints and Everything Is Sorrow. Ride the Tiger is epic. I do end up skipping bits and bobs though. Funnily enough I’ve never been that keen on the actual Wake Up album.

I really liked C’mon Kids (using past tense simply as I haven’t listened to it in years tbh) but always thought What’s in the Box was awful.

I think Creation had just given up on them hadn’t they. Oasis just consumed their attention and Kingsize got ignored.

I think if the Boo’s had just ridden out the indifference for an album or so they could have forged a good working career. Martin always had the songs he just needed the band as a vehicle for them.

1 Like

C’Mon Kids is the kind of album you’re willing to be a masterpiece but there’s at least a couple of tracks that bring it down. Never really listened to Kingsize, I think the band themselves hate it.

Has anyone spent much time on Ichabod and I? I found it on YouTube and it sounds a bit basic and rough. Is it worth bothering with?

I vaguely remember reading that they were dubbed the Do Badleys because it was so bad. It doesn’t strike me as being terrible, just a bit standard fare.

C’Mon Kids came out in 97 just as I was getting into music ( that ,Radiator and Blur Self titled were big foundational albums for me) so I would buy all the CD singles and there were some great b sides around then too: Bloke in a dress, Part I knew so well, spoin kop, Skywalker. Kind of surprised I can still rememeber titles of b sides from 1997 without checking.

After C’Mon Kids ,it felt like forever until King-size was released , although looking back it was only 2 years which is pretty standard album cycle timeline but when you’re young 2 years is an eternity , so by the time it was released ,I’d kind of moved on. Should revisit that one after reading some of the above comments.

To this day the three albums mention at the top would still be in my top 25 albums.

2 Likes

I loved the Boos, kingsize was massively underrated at the time, it’s fab. The new song… doesn’t do anything for me sadly. Seems pretty poor tbh.

I liked it a lot at the time but it’s obviously pretty scrappy compared to the more expensive production of later stuff. The version of Kaleidoscope on it is the best thing they ever did.

1 Like

…oh.

Hey can you elaborate on this if possible?

Pretty much - or McGee kept signing more and more also-rans before claiming they were the next Oasis.

In truth though, I was aware it was coming out at the time by pretty turned off by both Wake Up and C’mon Kids, so my liking for them had just fizzled out.

I did give BraveCaptain a go, but Martin without the rest (or at that time anyway) just wasn’t quite the same.

He ended up playing keyboards for Akira the Don at one point :smiley:

Yeah, remember listening to it years and years ago but not liking it much. Took the Boo Radleys a long time to be liked by the press I think. Even though songs like ‘Does This Hurt?’ were immense, it wasn’t until ‘Lazarus’ first came out in 1992 that I remember there being any real buzz.

1 Like

He since deleted the tweets so I will give the benefit of the doubt and maybe he saw the error but it was TW transphobia

A comment along the lines of if you let someone in a woman’s changing room “who has a dick” then you’re asking for trouble.

1 Like

Yeah not good. But hopefully saw that it was wrong like you say.

I remember Giant Steps getting album of the year in Select magazing. That was probably the time I thought that I’d maybe better go and listen to that tape. And then I just couldn’t stop.

Didn’t get more than a few songs into Ichabod. Maybe I’ll try to make it all the way. I put on Everything’s Alright Forever instead and it does feel very much like an evolution of that sound. But I always loved the opening song on that album, and there are some other really nice moments in it.

Got a little way into C’mon Kids and it is pretty great. Still a little unconvinced by masterpiece, but I can live with that. It does have a slight feel of the album after big commercial success about it - like everything’s a bit weird and wormy. I’ll no doubt get bogged down in new releases tomorrow but will definitely give play that and Kingsize a few times again when I get a chance. C’mon kids still pissing all over Coming Up.

I see the new song is on Spotify (as the Boo Radleys). It’s just on its own, so I guess the EP is to follow. It still sounds OK but a little unremarkable on 2nd go.

Bit depressing that Spotify lists their most popular three songs as Wake Up Boo, then a cover of there she goes by the Las, and then wake up boo again.

Guitar solo at the end of Barney and Me is the best thing they ever did in my opinion - it still makes me want to punch the air every time I hear it. Find the Answer Within with all its strange backwards bits is also pretty special.

One of the things I always liked about them was that they often crammed so many ideas into one song.