The Pixies in 2019

So I see that Pixies are playing a 30th anniversary Surfer Rosa show for 5 nights at The Roundhouse. One of my favourite albums of all time, and one of the dates is my birthday.

But… it’s Pixies in 2018, minus Kim Deal, and a bit naff.

I shouldn’t get tickets for this should I?

Exactly.

My love of the album, and the feeling of nostalgia that goes with it, initially sparked my interest. However, I’ve just checked and tickets are £50. I’m not spending that much to go and see what feels like a glorified covers band.

END THREAD.

They were still decent live when I saw them in an indoor venue a few years ago (I’ve seen them outdoors twice since and it’s been missing something though)

i’m somewhat amazed they can do 5 nights in 2018

1 Like

I felt the same, but the TV sent me a message saying “you’re not busy on 2nd Nov are you?” (it’s my birthday soon) so I think I am going. And I’m quite excited tbqh, never been around when Kim was in Pixies but seen them a few times. And seeing Vamos fast and slow will be :fire: I think

no kim = no deal

14 Likes

(kim) deal or no deal

9 Likes

a roof?

7 Likes

Not entirely sure what a 6 music pensioner is - but I very probably am one.

They weren’t that exciting a live prospect the first time around. So I can only imagine how dull they’d be now.

Don’t get me wrong, they were a great band but they were pretty static and said very little on stage in the early 90s. Sure Joey would smash up his guitar towards the end of the set but other than that it was usually like listening to the records.

1 Like

Having decided to bin them off, a mate had a spare ticket on the night for their Head Carrier tour at Brixton Academy the other year so I nipped down to catch them live. Enjoyed it way more than I expected to - Paz Lenchantin* is a good addition to the band.

That said…for nostalgia gigs like this it’s a bit of a different proposition to seeing a current recording band touring their new material (which, while a fair few levels below their original run is still listenable for my money). No Kim leaves a massive hole in anything off Surfer Rosa. Not sure I’d go to this even if a ticket magically appeared on the night again.

[*Kim Mk II was really good too when I saw them tour with her - certainly brought a lot of energy to their live show :+1:]

is she the one that got fired for crowdsurfing?

3 Likes

sounds like she brought too much energy mirite!

4 Likes

Indeed :neutral_face:

Yeah she was with them the time that I saw them that they were great. I like Paz a lot but the two times I’ve seen them with her have been less exciting, but i think it’s mainly that I’m not sure they suit big outdoor shows.

Thought the drummer said it was largely to do with her being primarily being a guitarist and so not being tight enough on bass compared to real Kim. Though had forgotten there was also some stuff about her personality not fitting

Enjoyed them when I saw them two years ago but I did get into that gig for free. Was more a nostalgia shout-along fest with my mates. Would never pay in for them.

She and frank didnt hate eachother enough?

2 Likes

The ‘no Kim, no Pixies’ crack me up. I saw them twice on the April 88 tour, then again on the autumn 88 tour, and most subsequent tours up to and including without Kim on the past couple of tours. I love Kim, but she ain’t Pixies. The Breeders without Kim, nah. The Pixies without Charles, nah. But Pixies without Kim, still awesome.

1 Like

So Paz will sing Gigantic?