The Sandman (Netflix series based on classic Neil Gaiman graphic novel)

Released in the UK today! Any love? Just watched the first episode and thought it was pretty well done actually. Charles Dance does a very good Rodderick Burgess and his character is way more sympathetic than in the original comic.

Haven’t seen Death yet, suspect the series will live or die on how good she is…

Any other Dream of the Endless fans?

2 Likes

Quite enjoyed the Guardians review.

Neil Gaiman has created 2022’s single greatest hour of TV drama.

Only 4 stars.

11 Likes

exactly my thoughts too :smiley:

enough to get me interested though

1 Like

Must mean the other episodes are mediocre and that one brings it up to four stars

watched the first episode. got the look and feels right imo :smile:
:syringe: :muscle:

3 Likes

Just watched the first episode. I am a Sandman fan from way, way back, got onboard during the very early days of the comic, had a complete run of the original issues, had the same Endless poster that Darlene did in Roseanne, etc etc and I thought this was basically excellent. It captured the essence of that first issue perfectly, with some nice foreshadowing (hello John Dee! hello Unity Kinkaid!), and a few Easter eggs for the fans - that was Martin Tenbones on the ship in the Dreaming at the very beginning, right? And you would probably have to be a real nerd to see the book Alex was reading, and remember that the tagline DC used to advertise the series when it started was the (slightly mangled) Eliot quote “I will show you fear in a handful of dust”.

Had a few quibbles - they fluffed the reveal of the Corinthian’s eyes - my wife, who is completely new to it didn’t pick up the mouth thing at all and thought it was some glitter effect (and he shouldn’t even be in it yet, grumble grumble but I guess he’s going to be the villain of the whole series to provide a through line from Preludes and Nocturnes to The Doll’s House), and I was disappointed they didn’t maintain the alabaster lighting effect on Dream’s skin once he was out of captivity, but very minor in the big scheme of things. Tom Sturridge is very promising, has Dream’s mix of caring for yet absolute indifference to humanity down well, and the cheekbones for it. Lot of ground still to cover, but as an opener this was about as good as I could have hoped for.

5 Likes

Have not read the comics, but thought the first episode was excellent. Intriguing and dark whilst managing to sidestep the clunkiness that often goes with adapted fantasy. May get the books and read before going further.

1 Like

Big big fan of the comics. We had to study one of the collections as part of a graphic novel module at uni (think it was Brief Lives but can’t remember now). Ended up devouring the rest of the series in very short order, and wrote one of my final essays on it. I wrote it the day before the deadline, after spending all my time focusing on my dissertation, and let’s just say it was not a good essay.

Always worried about adaptations like this and can’t think they’d possibly ever do the source material justice. The trailer didn’t convince me one way or the other. The comments so far here are promising though

2 Likes

Only read the first couple of comics and wasn’t really intrigued by the trailer for this, but will give it a go since it’s getting a lot of buzz.

Did I dream (lol) it or has this been in development hell for years? I swear Joseph Gordon Levitt was set to adapt it or star in for ages or something.

1 Like

Yes! May actually have squealed in that sequence…

2 Likes

I’m six episodes in. Sandman is my favourite comic book of all time, and this has surpassed my expectations beyond anything I could have hoped for. It’s faithful without being page for page, its visuals are breathtaking, and Tom Sturridge is Dream. Any reservations I had about Death’s casting have evaporated. I’m actually pretty emotional about it, not going to lie. Nothing is ever perfect, and Gaiman himself would say so about the comic, but so far this has come pretty close.

5 Likes

Wasn’t massively impressed, sadly. Considering how big budget and huge hype it was, a lot of the special effects seemed a bit teatime Saturday BBC drama to me tbh. Kinda got Doctor Who vibes off the whole thing, and thought some of the acting even from normally reliable people was a bit dodge.

Suspect if I had the knowledge of the books and story I’d enjoy it more tbf, not sure I’ve got the patience for 9 more episodes of that.

5 Likes

Left years ago over creative differences.

1 Like

Reminds me loads of dr who, not just because of Coleman. Just seems like a very rushed pace, lots of unexplained or surface level interactions. Thewlis is always a joy, but his characters one dimensional. Meh / 10 (will still watch it all).

2 Likes

Got about ten minutes in. Far too cheesy for my tastes.

1 Like

And I’m done. The final four episodes have a job to do and feel a touch more serialised TV (ala Who) than the previous but on the whole I feel pretty satisfied with an adaptation I and I imagine many others never thought remotely possible.

1 Like

Am I right in saying that those final four chapters are the entire Doll’s House storyline? It does seem a bit tight for that, even if I (presume) they do drop the Hob Gadling interlude (which is a real shame, as he’s one of my favourite characters).

Up to the end of episode 3 now. Wasn’t entirely sure about Jenna Coleman (oooh, those initials) to begin with, but once I reminded myself that Johanna Constantine is not necessarily the same character as John Constantine I was down with it. Absolute feast for Hellblazer fans here, with a side adaptation of the Newcastle incident plus namechecks for Kit and Chas, which illustrates the strength of this adaptation so far - it’s made by people who clearly have a lot of love and respect for the original and the world it came from.

2 Likes

You are right about The Doll’s House storyline but I’m happy to tell you Hob is not skipped over. It’s a wonderful episode.

3 Likes

ooh, really looking forward to that then!

I also meant to say re episode three that it was so, so, good to hear Johanna’s surname pronounced Constantine and not Constanteen.

1 Like

If they’d gone for a Liverpudlian accent I’d have been ecstatic but I guess it’s not in Jenna’s repertoire, haha.

2 Likes