We gonna have a SAULT thread then

Just released their second album of the year. Rightly getting a lot of press and could have two mercury nominated albums next year. Wildfires is one of my songs of the year;

Really enjoy how cohesive the albums sound despite the wide palette. Wouldn’t say they are concept albums but the spoken word parts and the way they flow throughout give it that feel.

6 Likes

Astonishing group. Having such a run at the moment with four releases in the last 2 years, makes John Dwyer look like Sufjan. All excellent too

Unbelievable output. All 4 albums crammed full of great music and potent political messages.

This was a cut from their first album, released just over a year before the murder of George Floyd, the lyrics sounds like a direct response - a stark reminder that the manner of his death was nothing new.

3 Likes

On a pedantic note, Black Is would have been eligible for the Mercury this year (it came out in June didn’t it?) so it wasn’t nominated/put forward in the first place. Anyway Rise is very good indeed and I’ll check out the other albums now.

No idea tbh, it’s why I said “could” as I couldn’t be arsed looking it up :man_shrugging:

Loving all the albums. Not a big fan of the Skits in the album (or any album tbh) but apart from that all 4 albums they’ve done are excellent. impressive to keep the quality high and releaseing so much music.

Incredible track too. The way it brings together loads of different sounds reminds me of early Mars Volta in a way

2 Likes

I’m not normally a fan but I think they add to the general vibe here. I don’t really see them as “skits”

At the rate they are releasing albums at (4 in under 18 months), seems quite possible they’ll bang a few more out before the Mercury shortlist period closes next year!

Loving both albums. Think Rise might be the strongest.

Has it been officially confirmed anywhere who is in the group? The lead female vocalist is definitely Cleo Sol (she is on Sault’s label and it sounds exactly like her). In that case, she has been involved in / released 3 great albums this year - her solo record Rose in the Dark is one of my favourites.

1 Like

For someone who hasn’t heard of SAULT how would you describe them?

#whoissault

This would’ve been quite a good headline five years ago

1 Like

I’ve only really listened to the two albums released this year, haven’t gone back to the other two yet. I prefer Black is to Rise at the moment but only because I’ve heard it more.
Also, as @coolerthantv says, the Cleo Sol album us great, reminds me a lot of Solange in parts which can only be a good thing .

1 Like

Not my own words but to distil from reviews I think this is a pretty good summary:

A largely anonymous collective of musicians making passionate, radiant, radical music rooted in rich black musical traditions (Afrobeat, soul, funk, R&B, disco).

1 Like

Good way to start is to check out the album from earlier this year as it is free (or name your price) on bandcamp:

Yeah this works for me. I don’t really know enough about some of the genres they’re taking from to give a much better description. I just knows that I likes it.

3 Likes

Heard them on Gilles Peterson and he said the name was an acronym but not one he could repeat on air. What is it?

Really like Free, Soul To Soul vibes.

Gilles picked SAULTs 5 album from last year as his Album of the year.

Thanks - I haven’t discovered anything in Afrobeat for some time. I’ll take a look

Fair warning, have to say that isn’t my first touchpoint for them personally. The influence is in there but would say funk and soul more to the fore. But definitely worth a listen anyway.

1 Like