What's the most recent album that you'd give a 10/10 to?

Was thinking about saying Sprained Ankle too, I think it’s rare for an album built-up such a large following through word of mouth.

1 Like

It’s a funny notion. Obviously it’s intrinsically subjective, but at the same time if someone gave me a list of their 10s and there were, I dunno, even 5 per year then I’d think they were absuing that 10 rating.

To paraphrase that fanous judge / censor (can’t remember) quote on the subject of adult films, I can’t define a 10, but I know it when I hear it.

4 Likes

FWIW, this decade…
Eleven Tigers - Clouds Are Mountains (2010)
bvdub - Serenity (2012)
Swans - The Seer (2012) although I’m torn on this these days and can’t listen to it
Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell (2015)
Everything Everything - Get To Heaven (2015)

I think the going rate is roughly one a year, but with some years being booms and others being busts.

Then I can get to fuck, I guess.

Well actually I can see your point, especially when it comes to individual choices on a music forum. It’s when wilfully left field choices feature on year-end or decade lists by publications that I get a bit annoyed.

Why can’t you listen to The Seer?

Sorry, assumed it was fairly common knowledge on this board now. @moderators don’t want to derail this thread so feel free to bin off my last post and subsequent ones if you like.
Trigger warning:

1 Like

I still think The Greatest Generation is their best so far.

I obviously knew about the allegation made against Gira. Never proven though. Think it a little strange to not listen to an album based on an unproven allegation.

In a thread where title is explicitly subjective and yet we’ve already had people grumble about a lack of objectivity in rankings, this is small potatoes

1 Like

yeah, I guess I’m caught somewhere between this list is a bit ridiculous, I mean for starters the recent Grandaddy and American Football albums, while decent, aren’t in any way as good as particular other albums by the same band http://www.albumoftheyear.org/ratings/3-drowned-in-sound-highest-rated/all/1

but this is a bit ridiculous http://www.albumoftheyear.org/ratings/1-pitchfork-highest-rated/all/1 I mean, has music died this millennium in their eyes?

I suppose, I’d find it easy to reel off a bunch of 5/5 albums, but ask me to rank albums out of 100 and, oooft! that’s a big number, you’ve got to be particularly special there.

also, just for the sake of it, I’m adding Carly Rae Jepsen’s Emotion to the thread, because it’s superb.

2 Likes

Haha sorry, wasn’t meant personally at anyone. Just noticed a couple of posts that unduly irked me. I just like the plurality of opinion on what could constitute a 10, as long as people aren’t claiming there are loads of them each year then I trust the authenticity of what they’re saying

I’m yet to give a 10/10 fwiw :wink:

don’t worry, I’m sure they’ll trust you with something decent to listen to one day :wink:

3 Likes

Greatest Generation has a stellar first half, but for me fades a bit in the second… I think Cul De Sac is the only one I really love after The Devil In My Bloodstream.

Suburbia’s incredibly consistent and cohesive but the songwriting’s marginally less sharp as it is on the last two albums. I love that No Closer To Heaven just gathers momentum as it goes and finishes incredibly well. Stained Glass Ceilings is my favourite Wonder Years song, and the final 3 are just such a strong finish.

Also, the title track on NCTH is the first good acoustic Wonder Years song. I was listening to The Upsides the other day and good grief Hey Thanks is terrible :sweat_smile:

And I find it difficult to listen to them given the general treatment of the alleged crime in our society and the mental fortitude it must take to make the allegation in the first place knowing it often can’t be proved. I wouldn’t call someone thinking differently to me ‘strange’ though.

3 Likes

For me, No Closer To Heaven dips in the middle. somewhere between 6-8, there’s a track that feels really out of place. I mean I still think it’s still a wonderful album and one of an ever decreasing (in rate) amount of albums I’ve pre-ordered before hearing.

Couple 9s right enough. Also new wolves in the Throne room 5/5 but I’d probably give 9/10.

I still find that AmFoot review/rating hilarious and I’m a fan

looking forward to hearing that WITT.

for me it’s a robust 4 stars. (teetering just under 8, I guess) a nice listen but a bit, Owen.

1 Like

Agreed, quite funny everyone lost their shit over new AmFoot when basically a better version of the same thing was released a couple months earlier under the name Owen