Who here likes Buffy the Vampire Slayer? STRICTLY NO SPOILERS

I just hobestly don’t remember how he is toxic (other than maybe some «friend zoning»? as my relationship with the show is still very influenced by me beginning to watch it as like a 12 year old or something. Have watched it later as well but can’t really remember. I’ll do a google.

I think it’s not just some. It’s constant throughout the series. He acts in a way that is constantly about putting down the women who are his friends and lovers. Obviously sometimes he is definitely the person being wronged. I just think his behaviour is depressingly bad.

And yeah, I totally feel your influence thing, not least because when I watched it he didn’t seem nearly as bad, he seemed to be representing a lot of the standard ‘nerd boy’ feelings I guess. Like I say it felt like he was just a standard trope that no one had ever bothered to question in the mainstream at all. I feel like it’s definitely been questioned a lot, which is good. Now you would use that character to make a point about how not to be, but the show tended to frame it more as him being a teenage boy and thus his emotional idiocy was sort of ‘fine’ and just one of those things?

3 Likes

True. But then people like Angel and Willow and Giles and they murdered people - well one person in Willow’s case (yeah he was a dick but still).

Feel like a bit of murdering kind of comes with the territory in this context though. Not so sure about the attempted rape of central characters.

1 Like

Giles is a saint

4 Likes

Can someone blur this please? It’s in the title, guys.

Ah shit sorry. Can I go back and change it?

1 Like

James Masters has talked about it and said it was a mistake. I think you can kind of overlook it when appraising the character tbh - I think these kinda things are much more significant when they are a formative part of the character, whereas this falls towards the end of his arc

4 Likes

In short, season 6 was a bit of a mess and they made some wrong moves with the characters, of which this was easily the worst

4 Likes

Buffy is one of the only subjects I’d stand half a chance at on Mastermind.

Best episodes were The Body and Normal Again (but the run of Pangs, Something Blue and Hush in S4 is brilliant)
Best character is Anya. Andrew, Giles and Willow were all ace too.
Best villain was Caleb, with Glory a close second.
Seasons ranking: 3>2=4>5>1>7>6

3 Likes

Caleb made me fear for the characters whenever he turned up, i thought he was a great character. I did have the same with The Mayor though so maybe he was a closer second than Glory :thinking:

2 Likes

Actually I’ll let you off this time

Made u this for future use

7 Likes

:grinning: yes

2 Likes

The show was so far behind here I knew (thanks to SFX magazine) the Mayor was going to be the season 3 Big Bad when season 2 was airing. Really enjoyed the way they seeded little references to him in the latter half of season 2.

2 Likes

Normal Again, Once More With Feeling and Tabula Rasa though <3

2 Likes

Cos the thread was made by DB I think anything past where we’ve seen counts as a spoiler. Those are the rules.

(S05E12)

2 Likes

And the death in Seeing Red

gonna start listening to the podcast, and see where it takes me

2 Likes

The fact Joss Whedon considers Xander his self-insert character tells you everything you need to know about Whedon ever.

3 Likes