2020 Fundraiser - Help Keep These Forums Online

Hey everybody,

I’ll start by being blunt: last month it cost $600 to host these forums but we only made £120 in ad revenue.

1000s of you use these forums for free and if even 5% of our users made a £1 donation we would have no issue paying our bills for months to come.

In previous years your support has saved the site and hopefully we can do the same thing this year. The price of a pint would make a huge difference.

You can donate on PayPal here http://paypal.me/drownedinsound

Or set up a small recurring payment on PayPal here
https://bit.ly/2qrFI65

Or Patreon here

We realise times are tight and if you’re not able to donate we’d really appreciate it if you could share this thread, which also includes more info. https://twitter.com/drownedinsound/status/1284809770843742208?s=21

Happy to answer any questions you may have about the site’s future or anything else below.

Thank you in advance for your support
Sean

7 Likes

Did a sub. Not much but if we all do something similar then problem solved. Get on it, folks (if you are able, don’t put yourself in a precarious financial position).

6 Likes

@sean, I don’t know if you’ve seen the fundraising raffles we’ve done the past couple of years on the social board for the Hardship Fund, but would you be ok with me running something like that to fundraise for DiS if there is enough interest? Maybe something with just music-related prizes to differentiate from our regular raffle.

1 Like

That sounds wonderful.

Shall I see if I can get hold of some good prizes? I’ll look into this next weekend.

5 Likes

I sent a little bit your way earlier today. Just moved so things are a bit tight but will send more when I can!

1 Like

Ace :+1:

I’ll sort out some stuff for how it is going to work and then start a thread to send out a call for prize donations next week.

5 Likes

lmk if you need a hand!

2 Likes

just sent £6.66, would send more but been unemployed for 4 months
can I get a custom tag? No worries if not

2 Likes

Same!!

2 Likes

Hi Sean, is there a preferred method for recurring donation or do you see much of a muchness between them?

How’s that? :smiley:

2 Likes

Patreon take a cut so PayPal is better but was making it easier if people already had their card details in Patreon. Less friction seems to make the difference. Previous fundraisers have had 18k+ people click on them but about 250 people make a donation.

1 Like

Done :+1:

1 Like

Just sent some your way. You were one of the first people I discovered and approached for coverage many years ago, and my band received great support! I’ve been keeping an eye on everything you’ve done since. Wishing you all the best Sean, and everyone at DiS.

5 Likes

Thank you so much and cheers for joining the community to post this.

2 Likes

Done, cheers Sean for the best forum on the Web!

1 Like

Thank you for your kindness of both counts.

1 Like

Thank you to everyone who has supported and continues to support our funding drive to keep to keep the forums alive. Whether you were able to make a generous donation or set up a small recurring payment, it all makes a huge difference and will ensure we can continue to provide a free service for music lovers around the world to commune.

The site turns 20 in October and I’m working on some plans but would love to hear your ideas (no matter how big, small or ridiculous) and suggestions of how best to mark this landmark.

In the meantime, thanks again and here’s a music recommendation: go listen to Gia Margaret today.

Her most recent album is a gentle ambient gem. It’s instrumental due to losing her glorious voice on tour. It’s so lush in fact that it inspired this month’s radio show (on Mixcloud if you missed it). The record has flickers of the warm nostalgia of Radio Dept, little spoken samples like Public Service Broadcasting, and an air of various mellow movie soundtracks like Spotless Mind. It’s quite different to her debut, There’s Always Glimmer, which features some of the best contemporary songwriting and luxuriously melancholic tunes that fellow fans of Sparklehorse, Phoebe Bridgers, Laura Marling, Bon Iver, and Gemma Hayes will likely adore as much as I do. Can’t wait to hear what she does next.

Thanks again and bye for now.
Sean xo

3 Likes

Are we ever going to get In Da Club to play when we visit?