Civilization with a zed

yeah, great help in the early game. love the extra territory too, combined with religious settlements you can just gobble up all dem resources

My Byzantine game is going great. The AI is shit at archipelago maps. Really slow to settle new islands and no idea that a powerful navy is a million times more useful than a powerful army.

2 Likes

Love me a powerful navy. Managed to conquer a string of coastal city states with half a dozen X-Com troopers and a whole lot of warships :boom:

1 Like

Once you have ranged attack ships with the promotion to fire three hexes, enemy coastal cities donā€™t stand a chance.

1 Like

Got my first chance to take part in, rather than be the target of, an Emergency yesterday.

Playing as Queen Seondeok of Korea, who has a mad +4 bonus on Campus districts, so I was well ahead of everyone else on science, touching on the Modern Era in about 1300 (!) Got stuck on a crowded continent though with tedious Teddy Roosevelt trying to expand right next to me, forcing me into the tundra, meanwhile Montezuma is spamming all over the next door continent, and wiping out Pedro [Gotta hate Pedro with all his whining about engineers and architects whilst simultaneously sucking at everything]. Then he captures Stockholm and we have a City State Emergency. 30 turns to liberate a useful science based CS. Built my treasury for a few turns then bought a frigate, sailed it up to Stockholm with a couple of knights in tow and smashed Montyā€™s veteran army to smithereens from the sea, all the while with him increasingly desperately suing for peace. After liberation I graciously accepted his offer of what looked like all his income for 30 turns.

Not sure Iā€™m ever going to be able to go to war against Tamar. I just donā€™t think I could bear the look on her face.

1 Like

started a new game as morocco last night. won the race to petra so things as going pretty well so far, although Iā€™m sharing my continent with monty so am gonna have to start investing in my military sooner rather than later. shaka has already wiped one civ out although luckily weā€™ve not crossed paths yet.

I won a cultural victory in 1954, despite having George Washington and Gustavus Adolphus going hard on culture/wonders themselves. The key was going really wide really quickly (made easier by the AIā€™s refusal to expand rapidly on an archipelago map) and then spamming archaeologists way before anyone else built a single one.

There comes a stage in Civ V games (probably Industrial/Modern Age), I find, when itā€™s basically possible to pursue any victory condition you want (dependent on difficulty level, natch).

1 Like

Beat this idiot back. Liberated a Danish city he conquered and handed it back. Made an attempt to do similar with a city-state heā€™d taken way back when, but some pesky hills got in the way of my siege units. Still, fun as always to see him come asking for peace.

Wish I was this good at hoarding money IRL

Whatā€™s the top of the Y axis there? When Iā€™m generating ludicrous income in Civ V, I gift to city states as often as needed to keep them all as my allies and just purchase buildings in my cities as much as I can so they can focus on building wonders (or research).

Actually, in 130BC it wonā€™t be that much I guess.

Oh yeah I never did this. I realised I didnā€™t have it installed on my current PC and ended up playing CK2 instead :see_no_evil:

About 12000 in the bank.

I just tend to stack it all up so I can fight long conquering wars at a deficit.

(Also I should say Iā€™m playing with modscyjat slow down science but not production, so keeping on top of buildings isnā€™t too hard - although Iā€™m planning to sink a chunk of this into universities when they open up, as Iā€™m falling behind with military techs)

I think itā€™s well worth staying allied with as many city states as possible, as the bonuses really stack up.

This thread has got me well into Civ V again, having not played for ages.

Civ VI can do one, though.

1 Like

shaka had three or four capitals at one point but ended up losing them all when he stupidly went to war with the whole world (except me :sunglasses:) at once. while everyone was distracted with that, I quietly switzerlanded my way to a cultural victory.

morocco on a hot dry planet with desert folklore and petra, would recommend

Love it when you have one aggressive civ who is always at war with everyone else except you to peacefully cruise to a cultural victory. The AI doesnā€™t seem to attempt to build wonders (or spam archaeologists) when itā€™s at war.

I won a cultural victory in the late 19th century as Brazil on a small map last night. Cultural is so easy with Brazil. Had Carthage whaling on everyone else. The one time they tried it with me, they captured a decent city of mine, which I captured back next turn, then lost next turn, then captured back. That was enough to get a great peace treaty.

1 Like

So like ten turns after this one with Shaka concluded, Alexander decided to pick a war with me. I have no idea why - he seems to be bankrupt, and must have terrible unhappiness problems as there was clearly an uprising with barbarian units pillaging deep in his territory.

Upshot is, Iā€™ve annexed the southern half of Greece (including another port, lovely), and Iā€™m the process of tracking down all his units and pillaging every tile improvement in the territory he has left.

Thatā€™ll learn him.

Do you tend to annex immediately or puppet first? I guess your excess happiness is a factor in that decision at the time.

In my Brazil game, Catherine had been eliminated, but in my peace treaty with Dido I decided to liberate Moscow and Novgorod. Didnā€™t last long, as Carthage went to war with Russia soon after and captured them.

Actually, there must then have been a second war declaration against me by Dido, because I ended up with Moscow in my empire at the game end.

Theyā€™re puppetted for now (Australia is largely unclaimed and I want it) but Iā€™ll be annexing as soon as possible. Usually go straight for that if I can. I have an old (unmodded) game where I managed to stack the happiness bonuses to get to about +200, so I was just steamrolling my neighbours and annexing away. Great fun.

I read that it you liberate a defeated Civ they come back with the tech level they had when they went? Never tried it myselfā€¦

They were very weak, to the point of only existing again (with two cities) for about 10-15 turns tops.

1 Like