Cycling Thread 2.0

it’s a 6 minute cycle

I’ll get an Uber then

oh are you not driving up? ignore my message in the chat then

No I am, was just having a (not very funny) joke

I’m quite looking forward to settling down and eating my dinner/reading a book for a few hours, tbh.

Fortunately the route involves no changes and no more than a 10 minute ride at either end, but yeah, arranging the bike slot at the same time as trying to book tickets is a faff, as is trying to find a member of staff on the day who will open up the guard’s van.

1 Like

Spot anyone you know?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/gallery/2017/aug/11/the-transcontinental-bike-race-2400-gruelling-miles-across-europe-in-pictures

Question about buying a bike from decathlon…

Say I’m buying a bog standard bike but with an addition at the back for a basket - will I be able to turn up and take the bike away on the same day? I remember someone on here (@plasticniki ?) having to wait but maybe that was because they were getting a fancy one?

if they have your size and type in stock then yes (and they should fit the basket for you too)

Ok, next question - is a £120 bike too good to be true - bearing in mind I will only cycle 7-15 miles a day tops.

Have you phoned them in advance or ordered the stuff already?

If they’ve got everything in stock they’ll be able to do it there and then (or maybe you’ll have to wait a bit if it’s busy), but I’d recommend giving them a ring a day or two beforehand to ask them whether they’ve got it in and if they can put it aside for you.

your original question: yes, they’ll just install it for you. will take like 5 mins extra. you can check stock on decathlon’s website. i have found it to be p. accurate.

other question: which bike? what sort of riding are you doing?

no, should be perfectly reasonable.

Keep hold of your documentation because shops usually offer a free service/tune up after x many months or so many miles… but you should be fine.

have you thought about second hand? could get more bike for your money, or similar bike for less money… plus a slightly older looking bike is less likely to be pinched.

2 Likes

Anyone got any recommendations for bib shorts? Are the Rapha Classics on sale at £130 worth it in the long run? Or am I better just getting a ~£60 DHB/Decathlon set. I’ve trashed my spare pair when I crashed.

Also in the market for a reasonably priced not hideous short sleeve jersey, same reason, tore it up when I decked it. ~£50

Figures now’s a decent time to replace in end of summer sales.

this one?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/riverside-100-hybrid-bike-id_8379019.html

should be fine for pootling about, btwin build quality should be decent enough I would imagine. (i.e. wheels won’t fall off when you go above 2mph)

Morvelo.

I will not buy any other shorts.

Yes, this one. Only want it for commuting 4 miles to work and back plus to the shops/pub etc. Fed up with my current bike (bought second hand for the same price) developing problems and I’m moving / going travelling in six months so don’t want to invest in anything more.

got some BTWIN, Castelli, sportful, lusso, DHB… all good imo.

1 Like

Really like those kuler blue bibs that they do. My decathers ones are falling apart so should pick up some decent ones.

@TontonZolaMoukoko if you go for Morvelo let me know, if you bosh in my irl name at the checkout I think you get 10% off (I’m not some kind of massive playa here, anybody can set this up).

1 Like

I’ve said this before but Pearl Izumi bibs are perfect (for me)

from sportpursuit, they have the different levels (£30-60 i ithink), all in black. no need for anything else.

jerseys, have got a couple of isadore already really like them, these 2 are on my wishlist:

Isadore Messenger Jersey | Jerseys | Wiggle

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/isadore-asymmetric-short-sleeve-jersey/

1 Like

the B’Twins I’ve got are mint and the top of the range at about £60 are supposed to be brilliant

1 Like