DiS Users' October 2022 Album Of The Month - THE RESULTS

VOTE FOR YOUR TOP FIVE ALBUMS!!

Vote for your favourite five albums. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first five mentioned as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get five points, 2nd placed album four points, 3rd placed album three points, 4th placed album two points and 5th one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that five points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with five and four points etc. You get the message.

My choices:

1. The Big Moon - Here Is Everything

2. Dry Cleaning - Stumpwork

3. Courtney Marie Andrews - Loose Future

4. Archers Of Loaf - Reason In Decline

5. Taylor Swift - Midnights

A good month overall for me.

Never rated The Big Moon as much as Our Girl and have seen both a few times live. Wasn’t expecting such a brilliant album from The Big Moon. The song Ladye Bay is one of the highlights.
The production’s excellent here and a slight change of style too (to my ears) springboards this one way above anything else they’ve done as well as anything else released this month.

Probably need more time with the new Dry Cleaning album but they’ve carved out their niche style and this is more of the same although it did seem less bouncy than the last but it’s not a criticism.

Really liked Courtney Marie Andrews’ country pop album. Great to see Archers Of Loaf back again. It’s no Icky Mettle but a good return. Taylor Swift’s one is ok. I’m a big fan usually but it’s somewhere between pop Swift and indie Swift and drifts somewhat.

Always a lot of great recommendations from you guys about albums that I’ve missed or overlooked. Not sure what else is out tomorrow except everyone’s least favourite boy band Blue’s new release and so I’ll see what you guys come up with.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 6th November and so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

5 Likes

A better month for me after a few lacklustre ones

1. Press Club - Endless Motion
  2. Birds In Row - Gris Klein
  3. VA / Adrian Sherwood - Dub No Frontiers
  4. Plains - I Walked With You A Ways
  5. Irist - Gloria

Hope Taylor is a grower, but I’m not there with it yet. Listened to Arctic Monkeys every day this week, and I think I hate it.

4 Likes
  1. Tove Lo - Dirt Femme
  2. Arctic Monkeys - The Car
  3. Open Mike Eagle - Component System With The Auto Reverse
  5. L.A. Salami - Ottoline

Still digging into Loyle Carner, Telefis, Palm, Montparnasse Musique, Guts, Star Feminine Band and Takuya Kuroda

2 Likes

An absolute silly month. So much good stuff. Couple to listen through this weekend then I’ll post up

1 Like

first draft I’ll definitely have to come back to - apart from the obvious standout no. 1

2. Open Mike Eagle - Component System with the Auto Reverse
  3. Wiki - Cold Cuts
  5. Archers of Loaf - Reason in Decline
2 Likes

Not contributed to one of these in months and months but wanted to give some support to Pixies for such a good album.

1. Pixies - Doggerel
  2. The Comet is Coming - Hyper‐Dimensional Expansion Beam
  3. Makaya McCraven - In These Times
  4. PVA - Blush
  5. Pale Blue Eyes - Souvenirs (pretty sure that was way before October!)

Pixies was a September album

1 Like

Didn’t really recognize AOL at all. I read that the singer had to relearn how to sing, just sounds like a totally different band. Suppose I was just hoping of more of the same scuzzy slacker rock from my youth!

1 Like

if you heard any of the stuff he did solo or as Crooked Fingers then he’s got this vocal style on that too

i think there’s plenty to like in the new AOL still but yeah much cleaner and slower than their old vibe. But there were hints at that style even from All the Nation’s Airport onwards

1 Like

I’m sure I have ATNA’s somewhere but can only really remember the first 2 records. I hadn’t realised Eric had done other stuff until recently. Icky Metal was one of those albums that I just loved so much when it came out

I love Icky Mettle so much, went to Primavera basically just to catch them when they first reunited - can see me on the video yelling along to Web in Front. Favourite track changes day to day

but I actually think ATNA might be their best overall given how many styles it covers - goes quieter and softer but also heavier than Icky. Go check it!

1 Like

I see. But being released on 30th September didn’t give anyone much time to listen.

Looks like only PVA is eligible from me then as just checked the others.

Ach, forget it.

Not ready to vote yet, just here to plug Meat Wave.

2 Likes
  2. The Big Moon - Here is everything
  3. Taylor Swift - Midnights
  4. Arctic Monkeys - The Car
  5. Carly Rae Jepsen - The loneliest time
2 Likes
  1. Arctic Monkeys - The Car
  2. Press Club - Endless Motion
  3. Taylor Swift - Midnights
  4. Birds In Row - Gris Klein
  5. The Big Moon - Here Is Everything
4 Likes
  1. Julia Sabra / FadinTabbal - Snakeskin
  2. The Orielles - Tableau
  3. Lucrecia Dalt - ¡Ay!
  4. Wild Pink - ILYSM
  5. Sorry - Anywhere But Here

Just missing out

Anna Arrobas - Made to Touch
Clarice Jensen - Esthesis
Taylor Swift - Midnights

A great month for quality if not quantity. The Sabra album is a long way ahead of the other four and is currently one of my favourites of the year.

2 Likes

Can I include an album released on 30th of September?

1 Like
  1. A.A Williams - As The Moon Rests
  2. Meat Wave - Malign Hex
  3. Indigo Sparke - Hysteria
  4. Arctic Monkeys - The Car
  5. Dry Cleaning-Stumpwork
3 Likes

Insane month, I could add another 10 releases.

1. A.A. Williams - As The Moon Rests
  2. Knifeplay - Animal Drowning
  3. Bird in Row - Gris Klein
  4. Gillian Carter - Salvation Through Misery
  5. O’Flynn x Frazer Ray - Shimmer
3 Likes

People can vote for those and I’ll probably count them but I’d prefer it if they didn’t.

Just skews the results slightly.

2 Likes