🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 The Beatles

Right then. I’m pretty busy at work at the moment what with the holidays and all, so HGATR will be taking a short break for a couple of weeks. What better way to go out than with this…

Eminem takes the last relegation place

Artist Rating
Aretha Franklin 4.64
Neil Young 4.48
Otis Redding 4.34
David Bowie 4.31
The Cure 4.28
Björk 4.27
Marvin Gaye 4.21
Stevie Wonder 4.17
PJ Harvey 4.17
Nirvana 4.15
Radiohead 4.13
The Supremes 4.13
Prince 4.11
Wu-Tang Clan 4.11
Kate Bush 4.07
OutKast 4.07
Portishead 4.03
Jimi Hendrix 3.93
Joni Mitchell 3.89
Massive Attack 3.89
Bruce Springsteen 3.84
Blondie 3.73
Rage Against The Machine 3.71
ABBA 3.66
Kanye West 3.65
Blur 3.61
Beyoncé 3.54
Bob Marley & The Wailers 3.48
Jeff Buckley 3.47
Madonna 3.4
Toots & The Maytals 3.35
Kylie Minogue 3.27
Sugababes 3.22
Rihanna 3.19
Led Zeppelin 3.16
Jay-Z 3.14
The Rolling Stones 3.09
The Strokes 3.03
Elvis Presley 3.02
Weezer 3
Girls Aloud 2.93
Britney Spears 2.85
Metallica 2.81
Basement Jaxx 2.75
Oasis 2.71
Lady Gaga 2.61
Queen 2.6
Eminem 2.38
Blink-182 2.21
Adele 2.05

So now, let’s talk about Pete Best and The Quarrymen shall we?

How good are they really? The Beatles:

0 voters

1 Like

Album

• Please Please Me
  • With The Beatles
  • A Hard Day’s Night
  • Beatles For Sale
  • Help!
  • Rubber Soul
  • Revolver
  • Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
  • Magical Mystery Tour
  • The White Album
  • Yellow Submarine
  • Abbey Road
  • Let It Be

0 voters

Oh good god.

Obviously a 5.

Muting now.

29 Likes

UK single releases

• Love Me Do
  • Please Please Me
  • From Me To You
  • She Loves You
  • I Want To Hold Your Hand
  • Can’t Buy Me Love
  • A Hard Day’s Night
  • I Feel Fine
  • Ticket To Ride
  • Help!
  • We Can Work It Out
  • Daytripper
  • Paperback Writer
  • Yellow Submarine
  • Eleanor Rigby
  • Penny Lane
  • Strawberry Fields Forever
  • All You Need Is Love
  • Hello Goodbye
  • Lady Madonna
  • Hey Jude
  • Get Back
  • The Ballad Of John & Yoko
  • Something
  • Come Together
  • Let It Be
  • Free As A Bird
  • Real Love

0 voters

I’m going to float a controversial opinion, which is that the Beatles are pretty good, but maybe not the absolute best. There we go.

10 Likes

Oh boy

3 Likes

I picked the White Album because even though it’s not the best it was sort of the one that I found most interesting.

I actually didn’t hear the Beatles much growing up. I think my mum and her contemporaries had all just heard them way too much (and mum was a Stones fan more) so that was that. My uncle bought me two albums on cassette for Christmas or birthday though:

Beatles Ballads
20 Greatest Hits

And I played them a fair bit, enjoyed most of the songs a lot and didn’t really ever think much more of them. By the time I got to Uni in the mid-90s I had them pegged as overrated, but then the Anthology TV series came out and our house watched it and I realised that I knew SO many of their songs and that in fact their albums just had song after song that I knew too.

So I became a big fan.

I still love Anthology III as an album because it covers White Album, Let it Be and Abbey Road - there’s a lot of stuff on there that’s very different to what we heard on those albums.

Let It Be is actually a great album but let down by all the rubbish around it. Worth listening to Let it Be…Naked to get a really good sense of how it should have sounded.

I’d have to say

26 Likes

Good to see Funko keeping the lying-through-his-teeth tradition.

2 Likes

Lots and lots of good music. Probably a bit overrated and too associated with union flag waving boomers. Harrison and McCartney are good lads. 4 I guess?

Pioneering and that but ultimately, their songs are either trite and boring or the ones that were really interesting have led to stuff that’s more interesting so there’s no point in listening to them.

5 Likes

John

0 voters

Paul

0 voters

George

0 voters

Ringo

0 voters

“The Fifth Beatle”

0 voters

One of the absolute shittest band names of all time. Docking them a point for it actually

4 Likes

Never existed.
N/a /5

6 Likes

Fucking excellent band. Could listen to them for Paul’s bass playing alone. 5/5.

15 Likes

Lennon was also an absolute gowl. Hands down the worst Beatle.

7 Likes

Might start referring to my knob as “the fifth Beatle”

25 Likes

That was buddy holly

12 Likes

Always find it mad how young they were and how much they released in a short space of time. McCartney was 28 when they split up

14 Likes

No controversy from me. A 5 all the way. I do have trouble with the Lennon thing, what a cunt, and I may consider going to a 4 if I decide to.
Revolver and Rubber Soul are two of my absolute favourite records, and the early run of singles and EPs is fucking breathtaking, imagine being a teenager when She Loves You or All My Loving came out.
I do find some of their (particularly later) albums have a little too much filler, and there are some I don’t really listen to as a whole entity. But but but, just the range of what they achieved songwriting wise in 6 or 7 years is staggering to me. I agree with Theo btw, Let It Be Naked is much better than the original and it has Don’t Let Me Down on it.

I fucking love The Beatles mates, and I always will. She Loves You is the best single, but DLMD and Happiness Is A Warm Gun and Here, There And Everywhere are the best songs.

3 Likes