🤼‍♂ How Good of a Wrestler Were They Really? XMAS EDITION! 🤼‍♀ #37 "Rowdy" Roddy Piper 🎄

Curt Hennig scores a respectable but far from perfect 3.91

Wrestler Rating
Chris Jericho (3) 4.69
Kurt Angle (2) 4.55
Mick Foley (10) 4.55
Daniel Bryan (5) 4.38
Macho Man Randy Savage (12) 4.37
Stone Cold Steve Austin (1) 4.36
Eddie Guerrero (8) 4.28
Ric Flair (11) 4.23
The Undertaker (7) 4.22
The Steiner Brothers (n/a) 4.22*
Shawn Michaels (6) 4.21
William Regal (18) 4.1
Bret Hart (9) 4.07
Owen Hart (21) 3.95
“Mr. Perfect” Curt Hennig (22) 3.91
CM Punk (16) 3.85
Jake “The Snake” Roberts (20) 3.81
The Road Warriors/Legion of Doom (106) 3.74
Diamond Dallas Page (41) 3.73
Booker T (48) 3.72
Charlotte Flair (34) 3.69
Vince McMahon (66) 3.55
Kane (19) 3.54
Brock Lesnar (30) 3.52
Triple H (13) 3.48
John Cena (17) 3.43
Rob Van Dam (47) 3.4
Becky Lynch (28) 3.2
Ron Simmons (114) 3.18
Big Van Vader (58) 3.17
Shane McMahon (59) 3.17
A.P.A (90) 3.15
Sting (52) 3.12
The Big Boss Man(36) 3.1
Scott Steiner (55) 3.08
Stephanie McMahon (n/a) 2.36
Hulk Hogan (61) 2.33
D-X (n/a) 2.33
Goldberg (51) 2.3
JBL (n/a) 1.56

And now, in a festive edition of the thread, we take a look at the HOTROD, DA MANIAC, THE ROWDY ONE, THE HOT (Canadian) SCOT, THE ORIGINAL TRASH TALKER… IT’S…

RODDY PIPER!

So, How Good Was Rowdy Roddy Piper Really?

0 voters

Favourite Match/Moment
  • Roddy Piper vs. Hulk Hogan (WWF World Heavyweight Title Match, The Wrestling Classic, Nov 7th 1985)
  • Roddy Piper vs. Mr. T. - Ring Announcer: Joan Rivers (“Boxing Match”, WrestleMania 2 NY)
  • Roddy Piper, Junkyard Dog & Ricky Steamboat vs. Adrian Adonis, Harley Race & Randy Savage (6-Person Tag Elimination Match, MSG Show, Feb '87)
  • Roddy Piper vs. Adrian Adonis (Hair Vs. Hair Match, WrestleMania III)
  • Roddy Piper leaves to shoot and star in They Live
  • Roddy Piper, Jimmy Snuka & The Bushwhackers vs. The Rougeaus, Mr. Perfect & Rick Rude (“Survivor Series” Match, Survivor Series '89)
  • Royal Rumble '90 Match
  • Roddy Piper puts on half blackface! vs. Bad News Brown (WrestleMania VI)
  • Roddy Piper vs. Ted DiBiase (MSG Show, Apr '91)
  • Roddy Piper, Bret Hart, The British Bulldog & Virgil vs. Ric Flair, Ted DiBiase, The Mountie & The Warlord (“Survivor Series” Match, Survivor Series '91)
  • WWF World Heavyweight Title Royal Rumble Match, Royal Rumble '92
  • Roddy Piper vs. The Mountie (WWF Intercontinental Title Match, Royal Rumble '92)
  • Roddy Piper vs. Bret Hart (WWF Intercontinental Title Match, WrestleMania VIII)
  • Roddy Piper appears at Summerslam '92 Wembley with a full Scottish marching band
  • Roddy Piper returns as special guest ref for Bret Hart vs Yokozuna in the main event of Wrestlemania X
  • Roddy Piper vs. Jerry Lawler (King Of The Ring '94)
  • Roddy Piper has another go as special guest ref for Bret Hart vs Bob Backlund in one of the most unintentionally hilarious matches ever (Wrestlemania XI)
  • Roddy Piper is made interim “president of WWF”, re-instating The Ultimate Warrior in the process
  • Roddy Piper has a homophobic feud with Goldust, leads to infamous Backlot Brawl/O.J Simpson car chase segment! (Wrestlemania XII)
  • Roddy Piper debuts in WCW, beats newly heel champion Hollywood Hogan but forgets to make it a title match! (WCW StarrCade '96)
  • Roddy Piper loses to Hollywood Hogan in a title match! (WCW World Heavyweight Title Match, SuperBrawl VII)
  • Roddy Piper & Ric Flair (who later turns on Piper) vs Kevin Nash & Scott Hall (WCW World Tag Team Titles Match, The Great American Bash '97)
  • Roddy Piper vs. Ric Flair (WCW Bash At The Beach '97)
  • Roddy Piper defeats Hollywood Hogan again in a non-title match! (Steel Cage Match, WCW Halloween Havoc '97)
  • Roddy Piper & The Giant vs. Hulk Hogan & Kevin Nash (“Baseball Bat On A Pole” Tag Match, WCW Spring Stampede '98)
  • Roddy Piper vs. Randy Savage vs. Bret Hart & Hulk Hogan (The Great American Bash '98)
  • Roddy Piper vs. Randy Savage (The Great American Bash '98)
  • Roddy Piper, Diamond Dallas Page & The Warrior vs. Bret Hart, Hulk Hogan & Stevie Ray vs. Kevin Nash & Lex Luger & Sting (WarGames 3 Vs. 3 Vs. 3 Match, Fall Brawl '98)
  • Roddy Piper vs. Scott Hall (WCW United States Title Match, SuperBrawl IX)
  • Roddy Piper vs. Ric Flair (Slamboree '99 & The Great American Bash '99)
  • Roddy Piper vs. Buff Bagwell - Referee: Mills Lane (“Boxing Match”, Bash At The Beach '99)
  • Roddy Piper vs. Mr. America (WWE Judgment Day '03)
  • Piper has a couple of years in TNA blaming Russo for the death of Owen Hart, hitting Jimmy Snuka with a coconut and screwing Scott Hall out of a title match to give Jeff Hardy the title!
  • Roddy Piper is inducted into the 2005 WWE Hall of Fame Class, has a Piper’s Pit segment with Steve Austin at Wrestlemania 21
  • Roddy Piper & Ric Flair vs. Kenny & Mikey (World Tag Team Titles Match, Cyber Sunday '06)
  • Royal Rumble '08 Match
  • Roddy Piper, Jimmy Snuka & Ricky Steamboat fill in for Mickey Rourke’s failed Oscar push vs. Chris Jericho (Handicap Tag Elimination Match, WWE WrestleMania XXV)
  • Roddy Piper appears as “Da Maniac” in It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia

0 voters

1 Like

Much prefer him in this and It’s Always Sunny that in the ring :wink:

1 Like

Good talker, reasonable wrestler for his era, seemed to do well to last as long as he did compared to many of his peers. The blackface was a misstep, but I can’t think of many others. 3.5 seems about right to me, but going on the low side of that for now.

The Goldust feud is also very problematic

I missed that one, but I suspect I can imagine :grimacing:

Never really got him personally, feel like you had to be there, as alluded above, prefer his acting work than his wrestling work, he was a big character and a good talker, sure, but his only actual good match (to my knowledge) is vs Bret at Wrestlemania VIII. Plus the Bad News Brown/Goldust stuff can get in the bin. A generous 3 for now.

The Adrian Adonis stuff at wrestlemania 3 is very much in that vein too

1 Like

kinda blotted that whole show out of my memory but makes sense

Don’t know enough about him to vote but he is involved in one of my favourite puns ever (which isn’t saying much tbh as I don’t really care for puns)
hqdefault

6 Likes

One of the best heels of all time around the time of The Brawl to End it All to Wrestlemania I. Absolutely hated by fans and that was testament to what he said and did in interviews. Turned face just before his awful Hollywood career (probably so fans would watch his films!)

Was pretty good when he came back and was a decent commentator. But, along with Adrian Adonis, one of the most natural mic workers in history.

1 Like

The problem with rowdy is that I cant enjoy his best stuff because its all extremely problematic

1 Like

Short but solid list to choose from here like:

Who’s Next?
  • Rick Rude
  • Ted DiBiase
  • The British Bulldog
  • Yokozuna
  • Jerry Lawler
  • Bob Backlund
  • The Ultimate Warrior
  • Goldust
  • Kevin Nash
  • Scott Hall
  • Lex Luger
  • Buff Bagwell
  • Jeff Hardy
  • Ricky Steamboat

0 voters

Hilarious that I’ve managed to shoe-horn Jeff Hardy into another poll

oh wait 3 is the good one from the early days, lol

kinda forgotten about this but it’s another tie!

Playoff:
  • Lex Luger
  • Rick Rude
  • The British Bulldog

0 voters

closing this shortly as it looks like we have a winner

Hot Rod scored 3.36!

And now…