New releases March 8

Looking forward to the new Coathangers - the singles were ace

Luv a Cajun Chicken Dance

2 Likes

Give it time

new Helado Negro is getting great reviews
@jordan_229 he sounds a bit like gruff rhys if he was ecuadorean and more synthy and better

4 Likes

Thanks Shrewbie!

Never heard of her eitherā€¦ Pitchfork have reviewed the album today & commented on how similar her vocals sound to Trish Keenan from Broadcast. I canā€™t unhear this now.
Excellent album thoughā€¦ particularly love the closing track.

It definitely reminded me of something, perhaps thatā€™s it. The music has a sleek, propulsive, modern feel which is a bit Broadcast too. Makes it a bit more interesting than the standard singer songwriter album.

Itā€™s definitely looser with more emphasis on the cacophonous improv bits. Think theyā€™re done quite artfully and the contrast they make with the songs is interesting but it gets a little chinstrokey.

E.B. The Younger - To Each His Own
Background: Eric Pulido of Midlakeā€™s solo LP.
Review: Sounding good to me.

2 Likes

Hoping it grows on me, it does sound better in the context of the album to be fair. White Onions the standout for me so far

@Gert - thanks for the heads up on Howe Gelb. One of my current favourite mellow americana folky folks. Didnā€™t know that was out. M. Ward guesting on one track has to be a bonus ā€¦

I liked it after a few listens but really like it in the context of the album now. Cafe Dā€™Athens probably my favourite so far. Loving all the synths.

Cafe Dā€™Athens is so great. How should I go about getting into their older stuff? Work my way through starting from Antidotes? Any good tracks in particular? Listen to a few of their big songs here and there like Cassius and My Number but thatā€™s it.

This, definitely. Running is such a great track

Itā€™s excellent

Every TVZ album is so existentially crushing!

Thatā€™s so true for every TVZ album! :slight_smile:

Love Trap is an alt-country / lofi folk duo by Stefano Isaia of Moving Star Junkies and Marco Spigariol of Vermillion Sand / Krano. Two of my fav italian songrwriters at the moment.
Think a mix of Deadly Snakes, Reigning Sound and Tom Waits.

I think work your way through, antidotes is great and total life forever is probably the most similar to this one. I havenā€™t been as keen on the last two (holy fire and what went down) but I am very excited to hear the second release later this year now!

1 Like

I donā€™t want to derail the thread but 100% this. These weekly threads can be quite overwhelming with the number of names/albums posted but thereā€™s not much to motivate people to listen if you post a list, someone hasnā€™t heard of them and has nothing to go off. Can we try and post a blurb or even YouTube/Spotify/Bandcamp links plz? Thatā€™s all from me!

3 Likes