Rolling Beyoncé Thread

Not that it would have been the same people dealing with it - just that I find it hard to believe Beyoncé’s team didn’t all hear about the fuck up from another high profile artist. Like none of them listen to Lizzo or have twitter accounts or read any music news?

1 Like

But Beyoncé’s team are subordinate, she is the executive

That doesn’t mean they couldn’t, with or without her knowledge, deliberately allow the record to go out with a slur on it with the intention of “fixing” it after the fact

Not saying your “I’m not going to be the one to tell her” idea can’t be true, that’s another possibility

1 Like

Yeah, I guess

Very poor move if it was a strategy though

1 Like

My understanding through the last several times this cropped up in lyrics was that the word doesn’t have the same connotations in the US, or at least, it’s not associated with ableism even if that may be the origin behind it. Whereas in the UK it’s incredibly offensive. So it doesn’t register there, but once it hits the internet it causes outrage.

I reckon that, despite all that, the use in the US as it is probably isn’t OK, but it explains why it’s casually thrown about in popular culture so often.

Some stuff on the wikipedia:

Colloquially, the noun spastic , originally a medical term, is now pejorative; though severity of this differs between the United States and the United Kingdom. Disabled people in the United Kingdom often consider “spastic” to be one of the most offensive terms related to disability.

In American slang, the term ‘spaz’ has evolved from a derogatory description of people with disabilities[citation needed], and is generally understood as a casual word for clumsiness, otherness, sometimes associated with overexcitability, excessive startle response (“jumpiness”), excessive energy, involuntary or random movement, or hyperactivity. Some of these associations use the symptoms of cerebral palsy and other related disabilities as insults.

Shortly after Weird Al Yankovic’s song “Word Crimes” was released, Yankovic stated that he had been unaware that the word “spastic” used in the song is “considered a highly offensive slur by some people”, particularly in the United Kingdom, and apologized for its presence in his lyrics

just popped up in a track on an album I was listening to that was released on Friday as well

Yeah, mentioned this upthread and the grim scenes it provoked on social media (didn’t detail directly the grim scenes and really didn’t want to post them here but, yeah, really grim from some of the so-called Beyhive)

…and that would be a certain level of oversight if the exact same thing hadn’t happened six weeks ago with Lizzo

1 Like

sp^^z is still heavily used over here. i used it often until about a year ago, had never heard a peep about it until that time (an im sure i heard about it through dis)… and im very much online.

i think the 1st part is right, but the 2nd part was never the understood intention behind it. its always been used like @JaguarPirate stated; another term for freaking out, getting pumped or going crazy… losing all inhibition and just letting loose. the same way that black eyed peas ‘lets get re^^ted’ was used or like how ‘go stupid’ or ‘go dumb’ is used in bay area slang.

i reckon it will take many years to take hold over here that we should find another word to use. i didnt even know about the lizzo thing until reading above. i honestly wouldnt expect beyonce or any of her camp to know, but the incident will hopefully do a lot of good in educating people. gotta start somewhere. i find the word re^^rd is still used too much, but people will for sure get called on it now (my mother in law used it until well past its expiration date, and after years of us pushing her to stop, she finally did… and we have a close niece who has downs syndrome, yikes). habits are hard to break and educating the masses takes time. people dont want to be told what they can or cant say until it reaches some kind of boiling point. maybe this will be that for the word being discussed.

ok i just typed all this up and saw the last two posts lol shoulda finished the thread before i started. ah well nevertheless im hitting enter anyway.

4 Likes

anyway about the record. after my first listen my first thought was “i need to get over to dis to confirm what i think @BodyInTheThames is going to say about this record” and i was exactly right :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i really like this. its light and breezy in a way that other beyonce albums havent been. it shares more dna with her sisters recent records then i ever thought she would go for.

plastic off the sofa an early fav for me. im def happy to spend more time with this album. really impressed that she didnt force a jay z feature on here.

2 Likes

Kelis getting the change she wanted too.

This post paid for by PROF$.

3 Likes

Heard this on her videos about it but I need to quote it here. Absolutely brutal how she fucking cleaned out Chad Hugo.

Chad really is like an amoeba, he’s spineless. It’s a miracle he can keep his neck up

Got a solid laugh out of how she just threw that in.

This post paid for by PROF$.

3 Likes

Lizzo and Beyoncé just stepping on rakes over and over again

1 Like

Christ - talk about not being able to read the room

4 Likes

Or not that actually - the more this goes on the more I’m actually starting to believe there is a degree of cynicism and marketing at play here that makes me feel physically sick as it’ll generate shares #'s and articles

The age of of streaming it’s hard to not see a potential chance of exploitation as albums are so disposable these days that keeping the album in the news for as long as possible is probably going to become status quo

Is the first release vinyl now going to be worth more?

“the slurs cut” as we will call it

6 Likes

Probably be the title of Ye’s next album with all the attention this is getting

1 Like

I’m in awe of how botched the rollout of this album has been. You couldn’t do it worse if you tried

2 Likes

The number of fans who buy multiple pressings of a record must be very small even for an artist like Beyoncé.

1 Like