As Sean is unavailable today, I’m posting this to get it online today (with his blessing) so we can start the ball rolling on the annual NEPTUNE MUSIC PRIZE!
Yes, It’s time again for our annual alternative to the Mercury Music Prize, to highlight some really special records that we love, and to have a public vote to see which one you rate the best.
As per previous years, we’ve used the same eligibility criteria (albums by British and Irish artists with a UK digital release date between 22 July 2017 and 20 July 2018) and haven’t included anyone who was nominated for the Mercury.
One vote each. Hopefully you’ll find a record you’ve not heard before that you go on to adore (that’s the real point of this). In alphabetical order, the nominees are:
- Baxter Dury - Prince Of Thieves
- Bicep - Bicep
- Boy Azooga - 1, 2, Kung Fu!
- Four Tet - New Energy
- Ghostpoet - Dark Days + Canapés
- Gnod - Chapel Perilous
- Goat Girl - Goat Girl
- Gwenno - Le Kov
- Hannah Peel - Mary Casio: Journey To Cassiopeia
- Jon Hopkins - Immunity
- Let’s Eat Grandma - I’m All Ears
- Manic Street Preachers - Resistance Is Futile
- Mastersystem - Dance Music
- Nabihah Iqbal - Weighing Of The Heart
- Rae Morris - Someone Out There
- Rolo Tomassi - Time Will Die And Love Will Bury It
- Shame - Songs Of Praise
- SOPHIE - Oil Of Every Pearl’s Un-Insides
- The Orielles - Silver Dollar Moment
- Young Fathers - Cocoa Sugar
Voting close at Midnight on Sunday 30th September, so there’s plenty of time to get acquainted with all 20.