The Winter 2021 Wrestling Thread! Featuring: Wrestle Kingdom 15! The Royal Rumle! AEW Revolution! Some Other Bollix!

It’s 2021, you know what that means…

Happy New Year Graps fans and welcome to a new year of Wrestling’s finest bollix. Will we see fans back soon? Will the Wednesday Night Wars be won and lost? Will the company’s book their shit better? All remains to be seen in another exciting year of Wrestling & bollix.

It’s the start of the year which means we have NJPW’s Wrestle Kingdom 15 (4th & 5th) and Royal Rumble (31st) this month, with AEWs first PPV of 2021 coming on Feb 27th with Revolution (the best show AEW did last year) and NXT currently not scheduled to have another TakeOver until Mania weekend on March 27th.

With the Rumble’s build still, early doors (only D Bry & Bobby Lashley have announced so far) let’s take a look at NJPW’s biggest show of the year coming this Monday & Tuesday:

This year’s two-day event centres around three men, World & IC Champ Tetsuya Naito, G1 Winner Kota Ibushi and the ultimate opportunity, “Switchblade” Jay White. In the main event of Day 1, Naito will go head to head with Ibushi, while White will face the winner on Day 2. While the event could ultimately do with any of these three, there seems to be a lot of momentum with White after he snuck his way into the main event picture despite Ibushi’s second G1 tournament win in a row - despite still having never held the big gold IGWP belt. If it’s not Ibushi’s time just yet, despite being 38(!!) already he doesn’t look like slowing down any time soon, so when he does finally do it, it’s going to be a rather seismic moment.

Elsewhere on the card, a similar set-up follows in the Junior Heavyweight division as Hiromu Takahashi & Super J-Cup winner El Phantasmo will face off to determine the challenger for champion Taiji Ishimori (prediction: Takahashi). In the tag division, Dangerous Tekkers vs G.o.D should be fun, while on night two, the juniors go at it on Day 2 with El Desperado & Kanemaru vs Taguchi & Grandmaster Jobberr… I mean Wato. Sadly due to the situation, Kenta won’t get his U.S Title shot vs Moxley this week but will face veteran Satoshi Kojima for his briefcase, a placeholder for whenever Kenta & Moxley do knock seven shades of shit out of each other. Rounding out Day 1 is Hiroshi Tanahashi taking on Great-O-Khan for some reason, while Okada vs Ospreay could be a passing of the torch classic, despite the fairly shite build.

On Night 2 Stardom get two pre-show matches this year, while the KOPW trophy resets for 2021 with a four-way dance, determined by the battle royal from Night 1’s pre-show. Shingo Takagi vs Jeff Cobb for the NEVER Openweight could quietly be a banger while completing the card is a grudge match between EVIL vs SANADA, which I really hope goes beyond expectations as both have seen their momentum’s fall off a cliff lately. Suzuki isn’t booked yet, so I guess he might destroy everyone for the KOPW trophy?

All in all perhaps not the most exciting card in recent memory on paper, though that is obviously hamstrung by the current pandemic, however, it still has the potential to be a classic with Wrestle Kingdom almost always guaranteeing at least 2 or 3 MOTY contenders.

Either way, let’s all continue to have a laugh, it’s great fun doing this bollix with you lot!

3 Likes

Legit cant think of anything more depressing than a rumble with no fans

1 Like

Would quite like it if people didn’t announce entries - just make it kayfabe that everyone’s available, including those already booked in other matches - and it’s a “random” draw on the night.

2 Likes

I was tempted to book Wrestle Kingdom off work but I’m gambling on their being so little work I can get away with watching it anyways. Pray for coho. It’s a shame it’s not quite the megacard you’d expect but given the current situation it’ll do nicely. I’ve no idea who’s walking away with all the marbles - my gut says Ibushi, but I’ve only been watching NJPW for 5 minutes so what does my gut know?

2 Likes

Really like Ospreay as a snidey little heel but don’t really buy him in the suit, seems like he’s auditioning for a Guy Ritchie film

1 Like

Innit, I think he’s actively going for a Tom Hardy thing tbf

Yeah it’s a really grim thought innit, maybe they’ll get creative with it?

Probably not but it’s still booked for Hollywood I think?

Oh they’ve given it back to Tampa provisionally as they missed out last year, L.A I guess will get it next year depending on what happens

As bad as the virus numbers are in the US, there’s a chance as soon as the vaccine begins rolling out in the new year they’ll just open everything back up. Biden’s more cautious than Trump was obviously but the pressure from business over there will be fucking HEAVY, I would be very surprised if people aren’t back by Mania (probably not the Rumble though tbf)

1 Like

Yeah you’d think even if at the very least a reduced capacity they’re intending to do it, I mean Wrestle Kingdom is still going to be 20k rather than the usual 60 apparently

1 Like

Tampa bays average attendance this season has be ~15k, there will definitely be fans there for Mania

2 Likes

Watched the Brodie episode of Dynamite in full just now, completely awesome show. Real tearjerker as expected. Man I love John Silver. If the Dark Order can focus on him and Page from now on I’d be happy to fanboy for them.

3 Likes

This is me as well, I’m hoping first couple of days back at work means it’s fairly quiet, so I can watch it.

I’m with you on Ibushi as well, but have equally as much knowledge (for me probably even less), so what do I know?

1 Like

Coming off that show, John Silver and Stu Grayson really shone out for me as amazing performers. Will be interesting to see what they can do if they’re turned face

3 Likes

Thought Archer put on a hell of a showing too, probably his best since joining tbh. At first I was like Archer as a face? C’mon but by the end both he and Jake had me popping.

2 Likes

Sounds weird to say considering what the show was about, but that was a fun match and I agree, Archer looked great as a face. In fact, most of the Dark Order lads playing face looked really good doing so

might wanna hold off on that

Definitely think Ibushi will beat Naito but not convinced he’ll beat switchblade, he’s been so good lately and it would add to Ibushi’s story to win and then lose it a night later…

That sounds an interesting storyline, if it goes that way. Could Ibushi then be the chasing babyface till the next PPV?

1 Like