Where to start with Krautrock?

the Can singles compilation that came out last year might be a good starter for them, more accessible than their albums and some great sprawling album tracks are edited down to tight 4 minute tracks.

gets proper shite towards the end with the later years but first half or so is worth a go

1 Like

This is a good compilation. Covers all ends of the spectrum from pure electronica to ‘krautrock’ the follow up compilation is also a cracker.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deutsche-Elektronische-Musik-Experimental-Electronic/dp/B076L6C6W8/ref=pd_sim_15_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9XCJWV4E33QB6843XN3J

2 Likes

I started with Tago Mago by Can, and never looked back. I would therefore recommend this as an excellent starting point.

9 Likes

I jsut want to hear that motorik beat forever in my head

don’t really care what’s going on over the top of it really

11 Likes

Just makes me feel somewhere between happy and excited I guess, you can just play it on your knees for ages too and it never gets old! Feels like there’s some kinda primal power there, can’t think of any chord sequence or any other rhythm that has that immediate sense of liveliness and anticipation.

2 Likes

fill yer boots

Just slap Hallogallo on repeat for a bit. You’ll come round.

6 Likes

Good Kid Maad City

start here:

6 Likes

The new Hookworms album

honestly don’t get what people see in this band

5 Likes

5 members, proper haircuts, synths, guitars, vocals and drums

also:

1 Like

no tunes though

mate they’re ALL tunes but they can’t be seen #madeuthink

this song/album

2 Likes

My mate loves Krautrock, is an absolute fountain of knowledge with band recommendations. He told me to start here with Can

Then I’d have a read of his blog, where he’s written extensively about the genre

Get the PDF of Julian cope’s krautrocksampler

can - tago mago is a winner

1 Like

really hard to get hold of that book for a decent price. Thought I’d scored one for £15 a few years back. Mega excited until it turned up and I realised it was the german edition :frowning:

1 Like

fuck this record is 10 years old next year :open_mouth: