Rolling psytrance, psybient, psydub, psychill thread

psydub
psybient
psychill
psytrance

I’m talking Shpongle, Ott, Hallucinogen, Solar Fields, Androcell, Shulman, Deep Forest… Buddhist imagery, po-faced references to Gaia, paying homage to hallucinogenic drugs I’ll never take. Sitars, throat-singing, all the cultural appropriation/appreciation!

My favourite release this year so far is Holobiont by Globular

No replies?

Electronic / IDM / Ambient / Drone listening club
MftSB - Let me get to know you, DiS
New Album Releases 15/09/17
What's your favourite kind of foreign/exotic music?

Strong start to this thread as expected. Here’s a classic from Ott to kick things off.

This is going to be a successful thread. Or at the very least, it will be me documenting releases I like. Bioscape’s ‘Shaping Seasons’ was a lovely slice of psydub from earlier in the year, albeit with some vintage #badcoverart

Hey.

I REALLY appreciate this thread.

My knowledge of this music starts and ends with Ozric Tentacles, and they barely even make this sort of music.

Please keep the embeds and the links coming. They are appreciated. Even if you’re preaching to an audience of one, it’s a very appreciative audience of one.

:grinning: Just given them a listen - definitely qualifies!
Here are some classics of the different genres.

Psytrance
Shpongle - Dorset Perception
Probably the best known act to have broken into the wider consciousness, their first three albums are all straight-up classics

Psydub
Ott - Rogue Bagel
My favourite practitioner of the psy arts. His last album, Fairchildren, is one of my favourites this decade.

Psychill
Solar Fields - Air Song
Psychill tends towards the spacey where psybient tends towards what is lazily described as ‘new age’ / 'world music’

Psybient
Kalya Scintilla - Eastern Opulence

Surely the only time it’s acceptable and enjoyable to listen to Shpongle. Not that I’d know :innocent:

Went to see them live at The Roundhouse many years ago. Was good fun, definitely a big spectacle.

So, you take, let us assume, a third toke; long and slow. You vaporize, and you take it in, and in, and in… And there is a sound, like the crumpling of a plastic bread wrapper, or the crackling of the flames. And a tone… A tone. And…

And there is this…

There is a cheer; the gnomes have learned a new way to say ‘hooray’.

The walls, if such they be, are crawling with geometric hallucinations.

The walls, if such they be, are crawling with geometric hallucinations. Very brightly coloured, very iridescent. Deep sheens and very highly reflective surfaces. Everything is machine-like and polished and throbbing with energy. But that is not what immediately arrests my attention. What arrests my attention is the fact, that this space is inhabited.

And so, like jeweled self-dribbling basketballs, these things come running forward, and what they are doing with this visible language that they create is they are making gifts! They are making gifts for you and they will say…

Whole gig is here, actually

Ah cool! None of my friends have any interest in the genre - would probs be weird to go to something like that alone. Definitely feels weirder than a standard gig in any case.

If you’re the kind of person to go somewhere yourself and lose yourself in it, it could be fun. It was on Halloween and most the people were dressed up and the crowd was obviously full of big ol’ hippies on loads of drugs, so it would definitely be surreal. Would still go if you got a chance and were interested.

#Friday Psyday
A new regular feature in this burgeoning thread. A tune to celebrate the end of the (standard) working week and bring in the weekend.

Hello aphex!

I know nothing of this kind of music really, so I’m going to take a shot with these and hope I’m posting the right kind of stuff. Some wonderful dream stuff, some hit an incredible groove, and all are just the ticket if you’re looking to unwind, explore something a little unusual, and/or drop some shrooms or acid. I think you will like them, but please kick me out of the thread gently if I’m wrong:

The album covers in this thread are Out Of This World.

tried listening cuz I don’t like to just write stuff off. oh god.

this is the kind of stuff my eldest sister was listening to when she was into belly dancing and other appropriation-y stuff.

gonna run a mile, sorry!

Thank you for your time. I’m sorry this wasn’t for you.
With WRT to the appropriation-y aspects, IDK, seems like those musical styles are fair game? And if the artists buy into all the Buddhist / new age (not equating these two things!!!) elements, then that seems ok? Maybe a bit #problematic if people use those cultural things as stimuli for hallucinogens? I dunno - I just love the music :slight_smile:

Psyduck

Hello blueturtle!

Really enjoying these, particularly Koan Sound and M-Seven. Checking out the full albums now :slight_smile:

Big fan of Lusine - been rinsing his stuff recently. I also loved 36’s most recent album which was more straight-up mid 90s ambient, but had never thought to go back and check out their earlier stuff.

Most of its just ambient music with a beat chill out.

It’s the non-awaited return of Psyday Friday! This week’s edition features Phutureprimitive (what a name!)

The background for this next video is so cringey! All the psy tropes :smiley: