16 Tago Mago 7.92
17 Turn On The Bright Lights 7.91
18 The Blue Album 7.71
19 Siamese Dream 7.64
20 The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill 7.54
21 Is This It 7.40
22 1989 6.80
23 Definitely Maybe 5.90

This week, The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds. One of Discobot’s favourite albums but how good is it really?

0 voters

Best track:

• Wouldn’t It Be Nice
  • You Still Believe In Me
  • That’s Not Me
  • Don’t Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
  • I’m Waiting For The Day
  • Let’s Go Away For Awhile
  • Sloop John B
  • God Only Knows
  • I Know There’s An Answer
  • Here Today
  • I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times
  • Pet Sounds
  • Caroline, No

0 voters

A very good record. 9/10.

3 Likes

One of the most disappointing albums I’ve ever listened to.

8 Likes

It’s five years since David Bowie passed away so as suggested by @Severed799 let’s do a Bowie poll for for the next week’s album

• Hunky Dory
  • Ziggy Stardust
  • Station to Station
  • Low
  • Heroes

0 voters

1 Like

Obviously very very good, I went a 10 because it’s pretty much perfect

Sub poll: do you listen to it in mono, or the more recent stereo mix:

• Mono
  • Stereo

0 voters

I’ve been more interested in this since watching some Geoff Emerick interviews where he is pretty passionate about mono as it’s own artistic choice, not as a limitation. The stereo mix is what I’m used to though :man_shrugging:

Wouldn’t It Be Nice and God Only Knows are 2 of the top probably 15 pop songs ever written.

23 Likes

One of the few of the canon that lives up to its reputation imo. Love it a great deal. Look how many absolutely perfect songs are in that list: God Only Knows, Caroline, No, Sloop John B - ok I’d probably just list off the whole record tbh. So much emotion woven into it, often have to take 5 after listening to it to recompose myself. Yeah adore it 10/10

Side note: The Beach Boys remind me of my little brother, he pinched a few CDs from my collection when he was 10 or so to put on his hand-me-down mp3 player, so used to rinse Pixies and Beach Boys in the car and then on the school bus. He got a turntable last year so I got him Doolittle and Pet Sounds, obviously, being the adorable nostalgia-tinged big brother I am.

6 Likes

Massively disappointing listen. 5/10.

7 Likes

Pretty overrated tbh.

Not as good as the hits. Still a 10.

Is it still the consensus that Sloop John B is shit, because that’s just nonsense really

4 Likes

Oh this is nice, thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Had no idea people had this opinion at all! Very silly imo

1 Like

Lads, It’s a 10, also Sloop John B is a cover

1 Like

Not really a big fan of the vast majority of albums that make up that anointed set of ‘best albums ever’ and I think it can be hard to judge albums which are hyped as ‘genius’ but PS is just wonderful, the sort of simplicity it must take incredible ability to produce.

1 Like

Nah it’s ace.

I’m sure it used to be the track that always got played though from when the cd came out and best albums ever lists started to become a mainstay. So maybe people got bored of it. Not sure at what point God Only Knows became the default track.

1 Like

Aside from a few classic tracks on it, this is an album i’ve never been able to get on board with. I often understand how a classic album gets its status, even if I don’t particularly click with it personally. But this one… oof. Nope, really don’t get why it is rated so highly.

Was it Jimi Hendrix that called them a barbershop quartet?

2 Likes

9/10. Very vivid memories of being on holiday in the summer I got it aged 16 (in the 90s, not 1966). Good theremin times.

If they’d kept I Know There’s An Answer as Hang On To Your Ego, that’d be my top track on there. Has more punch as the latter, in my opinion.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be nice - 11
You Still Believe in me - 10
That’s Not Me - 9
Don’t Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) - 10
I’m Waiting For The Day - 12
Let’s Go Away For A While - 8
Sloop John B - 9
God Only Knows - 11
I Know There’s An Answer - 9
Here Today - 9
I Just wasn’t made for these times - 12
Pet Sounds - 10
Caroline, No - 9
(Hang On To Your Ego - 10)

Yeah, averaages out to about 10/10

10 Likes

Summed up my feelings. I think I picked it up in Fopp in the early 2000s because I knew it was so highly regarded, but have also never been able to get on board. I like a few tracks, but sitting through the whole thing is a chore.

2 Likes