💿 How Good Is It Really 💿 Hot Fuss

Another middling score (by HGIIR standards) for Rounds

Leaderboard

This week is another release anniversary special: it’s the Killers - Hot Fuss which is 17 years old today! This should be good

0 voters

For best track I’ve gone for the tracklisting with Glamorous Indie Rock & Rock at the end which I think is the version most people know:

• Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine
  • Mr. Brightside
  • Smile Like You Mean It
  • Somebody Told Me
  • All These Things That I’ve Done
  • Andy, You’re A Star
  • On Top
  • Change Your Mind
  • Believe Me Natalie
  • Midnight Show
  • Everything Will Be Alright
  • Glamorous Indie Rock & Roll

0 voters

Next week’s album:

• Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92
  • Sleater-Kinney - The Woods
  • Portishead - Dummy
  • Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
  • PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

0 voters

Banger after banger after banger on this

7 Likes

What a choice!

1 Like

Mr Brightside is the most seventeen years old song I can remember - just really specifically associate it with getting drunk and hoping I don’t get IDed, and the album’s still fine? Wouldn’t say I’ve listened to it in the last decade, but I still have a massive soft spot for it. So… 7?

I don’t think I’ve ever heard Change Your Mind, it wasn’t on the version I had. Anyway those first 8 tracks are all bangers, last 3 a bit nothing. Probably an 8.

1 Like

Well I’ll give this a listen with gritted teeth I guess. Possibly I’ll be calling a cab though. :grimacing:

1 Like

Slammed that 1 with the full force of my utter apathy for The Killers and their painful by-numbers indie pop nonsense. Mr Brightside is a shame-filled bop, though. Maybe a 2?

Actually I think this came up when people were giving this a relisten for the Killers’ HGATR. That isn’t on my version either

Up there with abba as a group I truly detest. Annoying voice, annoying songs. Sainsburys rock.

If I could give minus points…

1 Like

It’s always a shock listening to it (which I do very rarely) how strong the songs are, almost all the way through the album (it drops off at the end though). And the singles are massive, and also played a big part in my life thanks to the timing of their prominence - All These Things That I’ve Done seemed to be a soundtrack to all our awful student nights, so we played it as the last song at our wedding party and it was very good.

Going to go with an eight I think.

6 Likes

No, it’s Everything Will Be Alright that’s not on my version

Yeah, very strong poll this week. I’m going to have to give it some thought

3 Likes

AH HATE THE KILLERS

5 Likes

Ah this is a 5/5 for me but purely for nostalgia than anything else. This came out at the perfect time for me and I rinsed it so much. I’m actually slightly embarrassed how much I still enjoy Mr Brigthside with how cringe it is these days due to overplaying.

Still get a huge smile on my face when I hear the intro to Jenny was a Friend or Smile like you mean it when I haven’t heard it for ages. Such a shame it got ruined for me but still such a good album.

But ABBA are awesome and I don’t know why you’d deny yourself the pleasure of it!

[J/k everyone’s entitled to their own taste obviously]

3 Likes

No urge to ever listen to it again, but it got a lot of plays around the time it was released. The drop-off in songwriting after All These Things is really something, but front-loading it with the hits was probably a good move career-wise.

2 Likes

Proper album of two halves. First half is about as strong a set of songs as you got from that era of bands, everything after On Top is completely forgettable and shit.

Probably can’t go higher than 3 though because even amongst the strong songs I’d happily never hear Somebody Told Me or Smile Like You Mean It again, and I can’t begin to articulate how much I hate Mr Brightside now. Jenny… and On Top still slap which saves it from a 1.

3 Likes

Just wondered if this existed and lo

16 Likes