💿 How Good Is It Really 💿 3 Feet High And Rising

Crooked Rain falls into the top 10:

Leaderboard

This week is De La Soul - 3 Feet High And Rising. How good is it really?

0 voters

1 Like

I’m unsure of what is the ‘proper’ track listing so I’ve gone for the original US vinyl release (and yes, I’ve included all the skits just in case one of those is somebody’s favourite track)

• Intro
  • The Magic Number
  • Change In Speak
  • Cool Breeze On The Rocks
  • Can U Keep A Secret?
  • Jenifa Taught Me (Derwin’s Revenge)
  • Ghetto Thang
  • Transmitting Live From Mars
  • Eye Know
  • Take It Off
  • A Little Bit Of Soap
  • Tread Water
  • Potholes In My Lawn
  • Say No Go
  • Do As De La Does
  • Plug Tunin’ (Last Chance To Comprehend)
  • De La Orgee
  • Buddy
  • Description
  • Me Myself And I
  • This Is A Recording 4 Living In A Full Time Era (L.I.F.E.)
  • I Can Do Anything (Delacratic)
  • D.A.I.S.Y. Age

0 voters

For whatever reason have never really “got” this one as much as I have most of the rest of the early hip-hop Canon. This will be a nice excuse to give it another go this week.

3 Likes

Easy 10. Will go into it more later.

2 Likes

I just hope that it not being on streaming won’t put off people who haven’t heard it checking it out.

Next week’s album:

• Jeff Buckley - Grace
  • Anthrax - Among The Living
  • Joni Mitchell - The Hissing Of Summer Lawns
  • Arcade Fire - Funeral
  • Love - Forever Changes

0 voters

Yeah, this is the best I could find on youtube:

2 Likes

Hopefully, next week, DiS will be caught in a mosh :smiley:

6 Likes

I’ve never heard 3 feet high so this will be interesting.

Eye Know is one of my favourite songs, reminds me of getting ready for school.

5 Likes

I used to work for a TV station called TV3 and the would start and end every day with that 3 is the magic number song. I hate that song so much. It makes me stabby.
That’s all :smiley:

This, once a day in a job that almost destroyed me

first 10 of the series for me I think.
not even the skits can ruin it.

considered putting “potholes in my lawn” as top song, but wimped out and chose “eye know”

1 Like

Gone for Joni to buck the maleness (and because I like her)

PleaseNotGracePleaseNotGracePleaseNotGrace…

1 Like

“Hi, I’m Mr Fish”

3 Likes

That’s an interesting choice for Joni Mitchell album - I don’t know her work that well but as a casual listener I would have assumed Blue or Hejira were the two obvious ones. Is this a personal favourite or is it better known than I realise? Not heard it myself so I’ve voted for it.

1 Like

Think you’ll really rate Hissing OctoB! It’s in equal parts both jazz-y and poppy with some top tier lyrics from Joni. A really wonderful record indeed.

2 Likes

Pretty cool how these threads are always about the next thread.

Classic album, love everything about it. Me, Myself & I is probably the best tune but as it’s slightly overplayed I went for Buddy, which I love with all my heart.

Sorry for de-railing, I’m keeping my comments for this album until I’ve given it a full spin today!

1 Like

3 Feet High And Rising is absolutely fantastic. First impressions, when it came out was it was like a Zappa album, and that is still my overriding feeling about it. With this it took Hip Hop somewhere genuinely new. It still sounds fresh, love the skits. It is a little patchy so for me it’s a 9, but that is no criticism. A Classic album, if not an absolute stone cold Classic.

2 Likes

Easy 10. Absolutely love it. Such a joy front to back.

Splashed out for the reissue so have been spinning my vinyl a few times recently.

1 Like