💿 How Good Is It Really 💿 Tago Mago

Happy New Year everyone. Nobody believes Siamese Dream is a 7.64/10 album. Nobody!

Leaderboard
Position Album Rating
1 Spirit Of Eden 9.06
2 Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven 8.80
3 Hounds Of Love 8.79
4 Illmatic 8.70
=5 Endtroducing…. 8.51
=5 It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back 8.51
7 Marquee Moon 8.47
8 The Sophtware Slump 8.45
9 Spiderland 8.44
10 Untrue 8.43
11 Kid A 8.41
12 Illinois 8.34
13 Loveless 8.24
14 Mezzanine 7.98
15 100 Broken Windows 7.97
16 Turn On The Bright Lights 7.91
17 The Blue Album 7.71
18 Siamese Dream 7.64
19 The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill 7.54
20 Is This It 7.40
21 1989 6.80
22 Definitely Maybe 5.90

An interesting one to open HGIIR for 2021: Can - Tago Mago

0 voters

Best track:

• Paperhouse
  • Mushroom
  • Oh Yeah
  • Halleluwah
  • Aumgn
  • Peking O
  • Bring Me Coffee Or Tea

0 voters

Next week’s album:

• Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - Dazzle Ships
  • Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
  • Eric B. & Rakim - Paid In Full
  • The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
  • David Bowie - Heroes

0 voters

Looking forward to hearing this

1 Like

Is Heroes the only Bowie album in contention?

I may get slaughtered for this but I always skip the sound collage bits in the middle. Not their best imo. Great cover though

3 Likes

An album I’ve never fully given the time of day, even though I’ve always liked what I’ve heard by Can, probably time to rectify that

1 Like

Not listened for ages. Will bang it on later

Probably no band I’ve given more time and effort to try and like because they are sighted so often by artists I love. Bought the first five albums on cd and every couple of years would try again. Finally got to the point where I could just about tolerate Soundtracks and Future Days but still never want to hear them again.

So 1 for Tago Mago. Can’t stand it.

Edit - got my positive post in today on Grandaddy to balance this out.

1 Like

Never got into Can, will try this.

Yes. My Bowie knowledge is limited so I had to guess which one had the balance between being one of his best known and also well liked. I definitely knew it shouldn’t be Never Let Me Down

Ege Bamyasi is my favourite but this is close second, first heard them courtesy of Birmingham music library (RIP) so lots of fond associations with student years and being a Krautrock bore

Agree, all good up to Halleluhwah but then it’s a bit of s struggle to get through

2 Likes

Think one of those albums that’s highly influential for a A-to-Z of reasons but I prefer Future Days.

It’s definitely due a replay. And I’ll happily do that this afternoon.

Mmmm I mean best known is Ziggy Stardust by some distance but I would wager Low or Station to Station would fare better around here, maybe even Blackstar… Maybe do a poll?

Heroes is fine but there’s a notable drop off after the title track as it’s such an all timer but that might just be me?

Sounds like I should have gone for Ziggy Stardust then. I see Suffragette City is on that album, I thought that was one of his 80s hits for some reason

Or Hunky Dory :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Lads it really doesn’t matter, Paid In Full is obviously going to win.

3 Likes

Genuinely given no one ever quite agrees on Bowie I’d do a week where it’s just him (his anniversary is coming up, maybe next week?) I’d argue these are generally agreed upon as the best so between:

Hunky Dory
Ziggy Stardust
Station to Station
Low
Heroes
Blackstar

Although there’s a case for Scary Monsters too so you get an 80s album in and it’s better than Let’s Dance. The 90s and 2000s can comfortably be patched though :sweat_smile:

Can are a massive blind spot in my kosmische listening. Love Neu, love Harmonia, love Cluster, La Düsseldorf etc, but have never been able to get on with Can. I’ve tried many times over the years but it always leaves me cold. It’s not me, it’s them.

2 Likes