💿 How Good Is It Really 💿 Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven

Turn On The Bright Lights crashes into last place with a still pretty respectable 7.91.

This week is Godspeed - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven: It may have caused @colinzealuk untold problems in the albums of the century poll, but is it really better than Rio?

0 voters

Best track:

• Storm
  • Static
  • Sleep
  • Like Antennas To Heaven…

0 voters

Next week’s album:

• Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life
  • Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
  • The Woods - Sleater-Kinney
  • Lauren Hill - The Miseducation Of…
  • Neil Young - After The Gold Rush

0 voters

Position Album Rating
1 It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back 8.51
2 The Sophtware Slump 8.45
3 Spiderland 8.44
4 Loveless 8.24
5 Turn On The Bright Lights 7.91

It’s a ten for me. So many amazing pieces of music within it.

Not sure if the first or last track is my favourite. Love the drone in the last couple minutes of …antennas to heaven, used to skip it but it’s gorgeous.

The artwork is brilliant too. All a 10/10.

9 Likes

Gonna bang it on now

Big fat 10/10. Prefer F#A# but this is an ATD album for me.

8 Likes

Yep it’s a perfect 10. Artwork, innovation, musicality, uniqueness. Incredible album

There is a crack in my phone screen from hitting 10 so very hard.

2 Likes

I have listened to a fair spread of Godspeed over the years but coudn’t tell you what any specific album or track sounds like. Last FM tells me I’ve scrobbled tracks from this album five times - twice in 2009, and once each in 2011, 2015 and 2018. I think I had this album on CD (a cardboard sleeve?) so sure I must have heard it in full before but going in reasonably fresh today for the whole thing without much idea of what specific sounds to expect, going to cancel and move some meetings to let the tracks run in full.

Thread muted.

7 Likes

What were the problems it caused @colinzealuk?

1 Like
  1. It’s amazing. Cant see it’ll ever drop out of my personal top 10
1 Like

Might give this a first listen later on. Believe it or not, despite being a post-rock fan (admittedly of the earlier weirder stuff far more than the mega crescendo twiddly delay pedal mode), I barely know much GY!BE

1 Like

Fucking boring wank for pretentious morons.

3 Likes

ONLY JOKING IT’S A 10, OBVIOUSLY.

3 Likes

People called it about 10 different things (Lift Yr. Skinny Fists, Lift Your Skinny Fists, Skinny Fists, Levez Vos Skinny Fists etc. etc.) which made collating the votes difficult

3 Likes

Would love if you were double bluffing and do think it’s shit

1 Like

What do you think I really think, Theo?

I’d say that it definitely has weird passages, much so than big-creschendo stuff like Explosions In The Sky, although it does those too from time to time.

1 Like