💿 How Good Is It Really 💿 Ys

A very strong 8.97 for Homogenic so we have a new #2 for the second week in a row

Leaderboard
Position Album Rating
1 Spirit Of Eden 9.06
2 Homogenic 8.97
=3 Didn’t It Rain 8.80
=3 Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven 8.80
5 Hounds Of Love 8.79
6 Illmatic 8.70
7 It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back 8.51
8 Endtroducing…. 8.51
9 Marquee Moon 8.47
10 The Sophtware Slump 8.45
11 Spiderland 8.44
12 Untrue 8.43
13 Kid A 8.41
14 Low 8.36
15 Illinois 8.34
16 Loveless 8.24
17 Pet Sounds 8.22
18 69 Love Songs 7.99
19 Mezzanine 7.98
20 100 Broken Windows 7.97
21 Tago Mago 7.92
22 Turn On The Bright Lights 7.91
23 The Blue Album 7.71
24 Siamese Dream 7.64
25 The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill 7.54
26 Is This It 7.40
27 1989 6.80
28 Definitely Maybe 5.90

Why the long face? This week is Joanna Newsom - Ys!

0 voters

Best track:

• Emily
  • Monkey & Bear
  • Sawdust & Diamonds
  • Only Skin
  • Cosmia

0 voters

Next week’s album. It’s about time you fuckers chose some jazz :

• Ornette Coleman - The Shape Of Jazz To Come
  • John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
  • Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
  • Mile Davis - Kind Of Blue
  • Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um

0 voters

Already know what score I’ll be giving but will use this as an opportunity to give the album a full listen through as it’s been a while.

I could nitpick and knock off a point for this or that stylistic choice or some bit of arrangement that i don’t love but in terms of the songwriting and storytelling I think it’s almost peerless. One of those records to obsess over the lyrics and figure out every little bit of meaning. The vinyl storybook is one of the most glorious records that I own and I go through pretty much a yearly obsession with it.

3 Likes

Let’s give it the full 10 and call anyone who says otherwise a rodney plonker

7 Likes

the songs are too long and it’s not as good as The Milk Eyed Mender. 7.

6 Likes

Close second to Kid A on my all-time favourites. 10/10, would give it 100/100 to be honest. I can only assume it is some kind of witchcraft that enables Sawdust and Diamonds, a frankly ridiculous song about puppets, to pull on my heartstrings in a way I don’t think any other song has ever managed to do.

Goes on a bit doesn’t it.

2 Likes

I’ll be generous and give it a 4/10

3 Likes

10/10… not my most listened to JN (that’s probably Milk-Eyed Mender), but my favourite. Was my introduction to her music and listened to it a tonne when it came out. Don’t listen to it as regularly now, because it completely distracts me if I’m trying to do anything else!

1 Like

13 Likes

In my top 10 albums of all time.

Knowing all the words to Only Skin is probably the crowning achievement of my life.

6 Likes

There are entire worlds in those songs.

2 Likes

Literally hadn’t listened to it before the JN HGATR, but got obsessed with Only Skin and Emily, as well as Monkey & Bear; still getting to know it, but a really blatant 10.

Listening properly through to Emily and Only Skin were probably two of the most immediately-affecting pieces of music that I’ve listened to fo ryears. Got properly obsessed over the lyrics - particularly with Emily - and kindof wish I’d listened to this album 15 years ago, so I could have spent the past 15 years listening to it, and maybe have got it on vinyl.

So yeah - 10.

4 Likes

And at a time in my life when 95% of my listening was white male indie rock it was probably - if not the first, then certainly most significant - eye-opening I had about womanhood in music.

That could probably be worded better but whatever.

1 Like

Lads, it a 10.

8 Likes

Glad to see lots of love for “Sawdust and Diamonds” in the best song polls. I love the other songs, but the intimacy of just her and her harp is on another level.

When she sings this, it never fails to get me.

And darling we will be fine
But what was yours and mine
Appears to me a sandcastle that the gibbering wave takes
But if it’s all just the same, then say my name, say my name
In the morning so I know when the wave breaks

Typed from bloody memory!

The vote’s gonna be pretty split on this one I reckon…

3 Likes

Haven’t listened to JN since 2015 apparently (when I bought divers for my da). I tried a few times but struggled a bit tbh. Will give this a spin and see.

To me the main issue is that it sounds like a poetry reading or art in a gallery, so it’s not really real to me. Like the soundtrack to a big Hollywood movie where the strings can make you feel things but not of your own choosing.

1 Like